Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to get my 302 rebuilt hopefully sometime soon(currently 169xxx miles) and I'm looking to save for a supercharger for a bit more fun on the streets and I was curious if 350 to 375 rwhp is a nice semi reliable area for DD on a stock bottom end Root/twin screw setup without splitting the block apart. Current mods that came with car when purchased are intake, longtube headers and some budget style H-pipe. TIA.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Short answer, yes you can easily have 375rwhp on a stock bottom end. Blowing it up is kind of in your hands. Miss a gear and over rev, or redline it every time a Bon Jovi song comes on the radio then you can do serious damage. However, with a good tune it is easily achieved. I have a twin screw on mine and it is absolutely my favorite car I've ever driven.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Short answer, yes you can easily have 375rwhp on a stock bottom end. Blowing it up is kind of in your hands. Miss a gear and over rev, or redline it every time a Bon Jovi song comes on the radio then you can do serious damage. However, with a good tune it is easily achieved. I have a twin screw on mine and it is absolutely my favorite car I've ever driven.
Thanks TK and Its my daily so I usually just have the occasional spirited driving and I just love the whine and growl of these setups it's just speechless haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You only think you'll be satisfied with 375hp.. Ask TK how quickly he needed more. Lol
I'm sure this is gonna happen! Haha but I do wanna ease into the bigger horsepower as I've seen A lot of guys wreck from just jumping into a big/bigger horsepower car without learning and feeling how the car responds.I always do my best to respect the car cause you take care of it and it will take care of you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You only think you'll be satisfied with 375hp.. Ask TK how quickly he needed more. Lol

Lol, very true. Everyone is addicted to some kind of drug, this is ours I guess. I didn't drive mine more than three times before I wanted more. That being said, the common sense part of this has to prevail to keep really dumb things from happening. If it helps: my car just turned 100k on a stock bottom end. I don't drive it often, but when I do I occasionally get into it. I've ran it pretty hard a fair amount of times and have had zero mechanical issues. I think you really don't have anything to worry about.
The good thing IMO is with a twin screw you don't need to live in the high rpm range to have fun. Torque and boost develop so much sooner in the rpm range that I rarely take the tac into yellow to get giggles.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm sure this is gonna happen! Haha but I do wanna ease into the bigger horsepower as I've seen A lot of guys wreck from just jumping into a big/bigger horsepower car without learning and feeling how the car responds.I always do my best to respect the car cause you take care of it and it will take care of you.
I hate to say this but with a screw type supercharger, you will be jumping into big TQ car. You may be putting out 400+ ft/lbs from 2k to 5k. That will be a handful on street tires until you figure out how to manage it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Callaway your definitely right and I've been really into the FR500 rims and was thinking 17x9 front and 18x10" or 18x10.5" rear or would either of those rear choices be over kill for daily? As I'm also just not sure what kind of rubber I want to roll on yet and open to suggestions.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I can only recommend you get the stickiest tires taking in account longevity, straight line only, cornering or all of the above that you can afford to replace more often than normal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 94 has 389hp/409tq. I run 17x9/17x10 with 275/40 and 315/35 respectively. (Nitto 555's) You would be surprised how easy it is to drive. If it is just a daily with a spirited run every once in awhile it's nice to have the extra power.

However, I will echo, what was said earlier.... find someone who can tune.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can only recommend you get the stickiest tires taking in account longevity, straight line only, cornering or all of the above that you can afford to replace more often than normal.
How would Toyo Proxies 1 in a 295/35ZR18 fair up you think? I've always been real satisfied by Toyos performance and have never been let down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I guess root/twin screw is out as kenne bell no longer offers to 94 and older and I don't know any brand that offers this type of supercharger. Any ideas to alternativesee before planning on procharger as much as I probably will be disappointed I feel....

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you're wanting a twin screw then don't settle because you will always have that little nagging thought about wondering what your car would be like with one. It's like being lonely and taking an ugly girl on a date but looking at the pretty girls walking by. They both have the goods to give you the feeling you're looking for, but the ugly one won't make you as happy. I searched, posted and waited to come across mine. I checked Craigslist, eBay, and this forum almost hourly waiting for someone to post one for sale; that's what I wanted. I started looking at centrifugal superchargers, but I always felt I was settling. Then one day bam! Two came up for sale, one on eBay and one on the local craigslist. I'm extremely happy I went this route. The low end torque is intoxicating and I have the exclusivity of being the only kid on my block with a twin screw 302. Be patient, post in the want to buy section and wait. There was one for a 94-95 for sale no more than a month ago on EBay in fact. I'll keep an eye out for you.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I was wondering if you would run into the same roadblock as I did when Kenne Bell deserted us old pushrod 5.0's. I really do not want to go used....but if I did find a used one I'd want to send it back to KB for rebuild/freshening up. Do you think they still will do that? I kinda doubt it myself....

So for now I think I will just do a mild HCI and maybe a new Vortech down the road....still mad at you KB!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had mine rebuilt by Jon bond. Very easy to work with. And if it's a non bypass he can do one for you

·
Registered
130 Posts
I sent my snout to KB recently to have it rebuilt. The seals and other parts for pushrods are similar to their superchargers. Having one rebuilt wouldn't be an issue. The intake attached to the KB is no longer produced, but I am almost positive most parts are the same.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The blower itself (the only thing that WOULD need a rebuild i believe) is similar to all of their other twin designs. I'm sure they could freshen them up for you without issue.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Theres a good number of rebuilders who can service these blowers. I had an old 1.5 rebuilt by the guys over at superchargersonline.com back in 2005. Then i had the 2.2 rebuilt by the guys over in Ohio. Cant think of their name now, but they did a good job. Even had them add a disperant coating to the blower casing to help shed some of the heat retention our blowers are prone to. Haven't truly run it like i want since i'm on a 9 year build with this car. hope to have her up and running in 2017.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey I've been Hella busy with work last couple weeks have been 55 to 60hours. And I'm definitely looking around still for a twin screw for sure. Opinions on the weiand superchargers and are they efi? As Ive been interested in getting one of them but I watch a review battle between the weiand and a vortech I believe and the weiand had a bad time with belt slip in the higher psi and wondering if there's a way to avoid it when upping the boost?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts