Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn’t locate this issue already addressed. My quarantine project is to get this 4.6 block cleaned up and ready for a bath next weekend. I spent the weekend pulling all the freeze plugs and dowel pins and noticed these 2 roll pins. What are these roll pins for? How do I remove them. Just pull them like the dowels? This is my first build from a bare block and I’m learning pretty quickly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Those are the timing chain tensioner pivot pins. They are pressed in but can be pulled out. If you are planning on a hot build, it is recommended that you replace them with bigger pins anyway. Check out Cobra Engineering if you plan on using upgraded pins.

Cobra Engineering LLC

·
Registered
625 Posts
Those are the timing chain tensioner pivot pins. They are pressed in but can be pulled out. If you are planning on a hot build, it is recommended that you replace them with bigger pins anyway. Check out Cobra Engineering if you plan on using upgraded pins.

Cobra Engineering LLC

This is false. The pins you linked are for aluminum blocks only and the OP has a cast iron block.

The aluminum blocks are prone to pivot pin breakage and the iron blocks are not.

OP you DONT have to pull them to send the block off to the machine shop. If you must pull them you will need to use some heat to get them out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got home today and got them out. Getting it ready for the tank this weekend! Thanks for the reply’s !!! I feel like I’m going to be posting a lot in the next few months

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
A great source for Mod Motors is located at the below link. Several people here are in the middle of building motors so you can probably find their threads:

ks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts