Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning on running my 95 convertible in a tima trial(SOLO 1) event later this year...

Im also planning on drag racing it at a NHRA event as well.

I need to know exactly what the SCCA requirements are for a street modified convertible for time trials and is it possible to meet both those specs and NHRA's in one roll bar/cage set up?

Stan

·
Registered
850 Posts
Not sure about NHRA, but SCCA's Time Trial (formerly known as Solo 1) Rules are online at: http:/www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/2006Time:) TrialRules.pdf.

Maybe you could read them and tell us.:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Post the proper link and ill be happy too :) ...without the smilies:)

Stan

·
Registered
850 Posts
That is the proper link. Well, almost.:curses: It should be .com, instead of .org.

You still may have to go to SCCA.com and look around. The website is famous for its, shall we say, eccentricities. Click on "Club Racing" on the left and then "Cars & Rules" when it opens up. Look for "Time Trial Rules".

Generally, one thing SCCA likes to see is a diagonal brace on the main hoop. NHRA doesn't care about this (assuming you don't have a 7.99 second car:rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glenn,

Their product list doesnt list any real rollover protection for a mustang convertible and I have emailed them twice with no response.

Stan

·
Registered
850 Posts
Try: http://www.autopowerindustries.com/ - [I know this one is right. I could copy it (SCCA wouldn't let me:mad: ).] They have a Fox and an SN95 convertible bar.

Be sure to tell them you want SCCA legal. Some of their bars used to look like SCCA legal bars but had the wrong tubing IIRC.

Edit for typoo.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have the Auto Power cage in my car and it is nice but very heavy. It more than likely meets the requirements. (Check first)
I am removing mine (just want to upgrade) and asked the same question to the local SCCA web site in Utah. I got many responses but what I have done is found a local shop, from the posts, that are knowledgeable with SCCA cage requirements and have that shop build you a cage. (Not cheap from what I am finding but none the less when done will pass SCCA inspection.)
I also find right now, because of race season, lead time is long.

Floridia has got to have some shops that are up on the SCCA 2006 rules.
My head heart after reading the SCCA safety rules.

Good luck

·
Registered
17,035 Posts
I know the scca allows bolt in roll cages like the autopower, but doesn't the NHRA require welded.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
V6Convertible said:
Glenn,

Their product list doesnt list any real rollover protection for a mustang convertible and I have emailed them twice with no response.

Stan
Call them and talk to a real live person, that's what I did. They didn't even list Mustangs on their website when I got mine, but they can build anything to suit your needs. I had mine powdercoated for something like another $85 too. Truck freight shipping is much cheaper with Kirk Racing too, since they are only in Alabama. Anything from the west coast will cost double to ship. The MM one does not meet SCCA requirements, the Autopower one does.

·
Registered
17,035 Posts
Fedex ground is cheap too, I sent a factory griggs modified kmember with control arms and two sets of springs halfway across the country for $40

1 - 11 of 11 Posts