Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a lower ratio 5th gear for my T5z. I had located one a while back from a company, but it was expensive and required the gear to be pressed on after the cluster was installed in the case.

Just wondering if there are any other options in the .70-.81:1 range. Maybe from another T5 transmission?

The .63 ratio just doesn't work well with a 8:1 2.3L turbo. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
why would you put any money into a t-5? Im not trying to be a smartass, but i broke my stock t-5, and then broke a t-5z on the street. Now i have tko-500.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why would you put any money into a t-5? Im not trying to be a smartass, but i broke my stock t-5, and then broke a t-5z on the street. Now i have tko-500.
Because I don't need a tremec. The 4cyl T5s hold up fine, I just don't like the ratios, especially the 3.97 1st gear. I have a spare T5z that the input shaft got eaten up a little from a failed pilot bearing in my Mustang. I can have it turned down to the 2.3L pilot bearing diameter and pop it into my XR4Ti without any changes. It's more than strong enough to handle what I need.

The rpm drop when I switch gears puts me out of the powerband and down on boost and an 8:1 2.3L doesn't have much power out of boost. This is the same reason I need to change the 5th gear ratio to use my T5z.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Talk to Tony at www.astroperformance.com

I was having problems with my T5s eating 5th gear under braking on a bumpy track. Installing the parts below solved the problem, the larger teeth and smaller angle on the gear teeth make a big difference. The cluster support keeps the main shaft and cluster gear from spreading apart. I see no reason to switch to a TKO as the T5 survived last season behind a 580fwhp 383w, the T5 shifts much better than a TKO and is lighter.

.79 Road Race 5th gear.

http://www.astroperformance.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=.79&x=37&y=22

Cluster support plate.

http://www.astroperformance.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=cluster+support

·
Registered
102 Posts
I run the astro .79 5th in my T5z. A lot more useful on track now. Nice gear, no problems with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts