Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first go at assembling a 9" I have a few patterns to get y'alls opinion on. Which one do you think looks best. Each set is a drive and coast side

Picture 1 was .017 pinion spacer .008 backlash
Picture 2 was .022 pinion spacer .008 backlash
Picture 3 was .014 pinion spacer .009 backlash

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Good start, I like photo 5. I like to see more of a sweep on the face of the tooth. Are you loading the gear set when you make a pattern? I find I get better read when I put drag on it. I've also had more luck running them looser. I would try a pattern at .012-.013" backlash. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I decreased the pinion depth to a shim stack thickness of .025. I got the drive side looking better (2nd pic) by the coast side (1st pic) still appears biased towards the toe. This was at the manufacturers (motive) maximum backlash at .009 but I guess I'll play around with it a little more tom.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I went through this the winter before last. I pulled together a sheet of pics - hopefully it helps. FWIW, I think you're headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the patterns now in the right direction I just need to bring the drive pattern more towards the toe. I've put more load on the ring gear while turning so I'm getting a better picture of the pattern now. I'll post up some pictures later tonight. Thanks for all of your help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts