Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am almost done the extended wheel studs install on my 8.8 rear with 31 spline axles. I noticed a little movement of the ring gear against the carrier (meaning the gear moved slightly independent of the carrier). Checked the ring gear bolts and they are all finger tight! I don't know if the vibration from the impact gun when I was drawing the studs in loosened the ring gear bolts (probably not) . I consider myself lucky that I found this. I was just at the drag strip last week and did 5 runs! Anyway from what I have read I should install new ford bolts with pre applied loctite (I saw them on American muscle) as the ones in there may have lost their holding strength? Will I be able to install new bolts one at a time and torque each bolt while the rear is still assembled in the housing (please tell me I can!) Anyone know the torque and the best way to keep the whole gear from rotating while torque ing them? I assume put it in 1st gear (the tires are off the ground) or set the parking brake. Looking for quick answers please the car is supposed to go to the dyno tuned this week. Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about torquing while it's installed in the rear? Ok to do that? Suggested way to keep it all from turning while tightening?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody know the best way to hold the gears from turning when torquing the ring gear bolts? And will I be ok torquing them with the diff installed in the car?

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Yes, torque them down while in the car, no big deal. Just do one at a time.
If the axles/brakes are still installed just put the E-brake on and see if that holds it.

ks

·
Registered
58 Posts
I found the same issue when replacing spider and side gears while chasing a "clunking" in the rear. I would recommend the above as well. One thing I will add. When you remove each bolt, wash the threads in the ring gear with brake cleaner and air dry. This will help the blue thread lock to adhere better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts