Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new set of draglites because of a new rearend, and I was under the impression that a 15X10 wood give me the widest footprint with a 28X10.5 ET drag. After looking for ideas on a new rear suspension set-up, I incidentaly found a couple people mention that a 15X9 wood give a wider patch. Is this true? Before I buy I want to be sure I am getting the rim that is going to give me the most out my 10.5. Basically, what do i buy for a non mini-tubbed fox to get widest footprint, a 15X10 6.5bs or 15X9 5.5bs? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
The ideal setup is a 15x8x5.5 bs

You can fit a 15x10x6.5 but be ready to beat the crap of the inner wheel tubs to make fit.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
A 10" rim will give the best footprint in a stock wheel-well fox.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thanks for the replies but I misunderstood what I read before posting and after re-reading it, now I see I meant to ask if i have a 10in rim will a 9in slick really be wider on it then a 10.5. This is a reply to another post's question of why use a 9in slick instead of a 10.5:

Because a 9'' tire on a 10'' rim will put more rubber on the ground than a 10'' tire on a 10'' rim. 10'' tires on a 10'' rim do not use all the rubber on the tread. There is about an inch or so on each side that pretty much doesn't touch the ground. Put a 10'' tire on a 12'' rim and it's a whole different story.

Is this true?

So I guess for sure I will get the 10x15' DL, now my question is the tire I need for the biggest patch. I have 28X10.5 ET drags now on 15x8 5.5bs DL now, and since I'm moving to 5 lug I want to make sure I use the right tire/wheel combo to get the widest footprint. Thanks again and sorry for the confusion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts