Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had measurements of B or C springs on their fox from ground to top of fender.

I'm currently running around 25 inches rear, 24 3/4 front, from the ground with H&R springs with 245/45/17 tires. I was looking for something higher but not as high as Bullitt springs.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
For a better reference you should measure from the center of the wheel up to the fender lip. That way it takes the tire and wheel sizing out of the mix and you'll get a more accurate comparison.

As for how low Cs go, I don't have any real numbers, but years ago when I had Cs on my car it was waaaay too low. I ended up converting to coil-overs up front with the same struts, raised the ride height 3/4 - 1", and vastly improved ride quality and handling.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
FWIW, on my 86 GT 'Vert with uncut "C"s, the front is 25" floor to center of lip and the rear is 26-7/8" floor to center of lip. Front has poly isolators on the top and bottom; springs clocked at the second weep hole. The rear has stock rubber on the top and poly on the bottom with the springs clocked so the cut edge of the pig tail is parallel with the axle and facing toward the front. Car is running 245/45/17s. However, I lost about .5" in the front when I converted to 5-lug using 04 Mach 1 a-arms; the longer arm leveraged the spring. With the stock a-arms, it was about 25-1/2" to 25-7/8" in the front configured as above. Right now, it's too low in the front and too high in the rear; even prior to the 5-lug conversion, it was too high in the rear IMHO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
On my 84 GT Hatch, I'm running C Springs. I'm at 25.5" in the front measuring from the ground through the center line of the wheel to the bottom of the Fender lip. At the rear I average out at 26.5".

I am using the Stock Spring insulators.

Hope this helps,

Scott

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Very helpful info. It sounds like it's much higher in the rear. Some interesting ride heights going on here.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
It sounds like it's much higher in the rear. Some interesting ride heights going on here.
Yeah; on the rear I've experimented with rubber and poly isolators and spring clocking to get it down as low as possible without cutting the spring - of course, I should have gone with an adjustible pearch LCA, but didn't. Years ago when I put on the Cs, I recall Ford including a recommendation to cut the rear springs in order to achieve proper ride height, but I didn't keep that information. I might be able to knock off another .25" in rear height with spring clocking and/or going with all rubber isolators (I ran without isolators and it made a creaking sound), but that still wouldn't be enough IMO. I've recently purchased a front coil-over kit and some H&R Super Race springs for the rear. I'm hoping this combo will do what I want.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
should i sell my h/r race springsi have 60 miles on these and get these c springs i have a 1995 gt vert with a 408w i think these springs the h/r are too hard of a ride the i have billstin for shocks and struts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
should i sell my h/r race springsi have 60 miles on these and get these c springs i have a 1995 gt vert with a 408w i think these springs the h/r are too hard of a ride the i have billstin for shocks and struts
I too have a similar setup(h/r with bilsteins). It handles great but on rough roads it can be crashy and bumpy. I'm looking into the Koni Sport Kit now. Only $650. I just don't have enough money right now to get it.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The only experience I have with H&Rs is the Super Sports on my 01 Cobra Vert. These are progressive and with Bilsteins ride pretty nice (but I have an IRS too so keep that in mind). The down sides are (i) it sits way too low in the front causing the k-member to hit high spots in the road if I'm not careful (high spots are like road repairs, ridge peaks caused by heavy trucks, etc.) and (ii) the car body-rolls a lot when taking tight turns aggressively. As far as trading "up" to the Cs, I don't think you'll like them any more than the H&R Race. The C fronts are 650 lb/in linear; rears are 200-300 progressive. On my 86 with Bilsteins, they ride more harsh than the 01 (again, compairing a stick rear axle to an IRS). If ride quality is the goal, then something with a less aggressive spring rate and perhaps a progressive design might be better for you.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
The C's are higher in the rear. You could cut a dead coil out, but i went and bought the MM adjustable rear control arms in hopes of dialing it in better.

My ultimate plans are to swap them out for H&R springs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts