Ford Mustang Forums banner

Revalved Bilsteins or Koni's?

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  88TbirdMan 
#1 ·
So i'm waiting on my steeda 5 link to show up, and have upgraded to a stiffer spring rate... the progressive 850-1000lbs front and 350lbs rear. Now from what i've been told my bilstein hd's wont be good enough with these for auto x

So the dilema... I bought the bilsteins last year and looking for the cheapest possible fix.. Would it be to get them revalved by someone... or go with some koni SA's? and sell the bilsteins on the forums

#2 ·
Koni SA's for sure. I've tried the Bilsteins - their rebound dampening is way too excessive for the quick transitions of autocross. This may be fine for a road course, but for autocross it feels like the car can't keep up with your rapid left-right-left-right-left-right steering inputs.

The Koni's are adjustable for rebound. Again, specific to autocross, it's much more important to be able to adjust rebound than compression.

#10 ·
After some talking with a season ESP mustang auto x'er I'm probably going with the custom valved bilsteins. Because they are beefier , he told me he has broken multiple koni's, they are cheaper than getting new koni's, and custom valving to your car and rates is always better than off the shelf stuff

#11 ·
#15 ·
I believe that he has broke them internally somehow multiple times. Fully prepared esp cobra r style with 1600lbs springs up front 550lbs rear and 315 front and rear, a bit of a monster

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.