Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm waiting on my steeda 5 link to show up, and have upgraded to a stiffer spring rate... the progressive 850-1000lbs front and 350lbs rear. Now from what i've been told my bilstein hd's wont be good enough with these for auto x

So the dilema... I bought the bilsteins last year and looking for the cheapest possible fix.. Would it be to get them revalved by someone... or go with some koni SA's? and sell the bilsteins on the forums

·
Registered
543 Posts
Koni SA's for sure. I've tried the Bilsteins - their rebound dampening is way too excessive for the quick transitions of autocross. This may be fine for a road course, but for autocross it feels like the car can't keep up with your rapid left-right-left-right-left-right steering inputs.

The Koni's are adjustable for rebound. Again, specific to autocross, it's much more important to be able to adjust rebound than compression.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well found out the bilsteins will be $125 a piece for work on them, that's not too bad

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ok, I have to toss another question in here since I have bilstiens on my car right now. What would you have to do to run the bilstien coilovers on a koni. I REALLY dont feel like having to buy all that crap again

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ok, I have to toss another question in here since I have bilstiens on my car right now. What would you have to do to run the bilstien coilovers on a koni. I REALLY dont feel like having to buy all that crap again
I don't know if that could be done, but you should call MM and find out for sure.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
That is what kept me from switching to Koni. I already had Bilstein HDs. I saw on their website (didn't call) that the CO kit for Bilstein and Koni have different part numbers. Koni, Tokico & Strange are grouped together. Bilstein has a specific kit. I'm happy with the MM Sport Bilsteins. What I'm missing out on, I have no idea. But at only 1 HPDE event a year, on street tires, & the driver being the worst part on my car, I'm very happy with the Bilsteins.

You could easily sell the Bilstein CO kit and buy the Koni setup. You'd only be out a few $.

Maximum Motorsports Mustang Front Coil-Over Kits

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It's definitely a different kit. The Bilstein strut has a narrower body than the Koni, so the sleeve will not fit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
yeah, my rear koni's came in today and as soon as I opened the box, I was like, there's no way in hell that will ever work, lol. Koni coil over kits are ordered too. The koni's almost look wimpy compared to the bilstiens though

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After some talking with a season ESP mustang auto x'er I'm probably going with the custom valved bilsteins. Because they are beefier , he told me he has broken multiple koni's, they are cheaper than getting new koni's, and custom valving to your car and rates is always better than off the shelf stuff

·
Registered
543 Posts
Have used Koni's for 6 years on different cars autocrossing. None have broken.

·
Registered
111 Posts
After seeing those pix, I feel alot better. The only thing I can figure is somehow he managed to bend the strut shaft? I have 2 grand in switching to koni's so it better be worth it!

Here's how I fixed my bilstiens after I bent the tabs, lol.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Those are Bilstein mounting ears. The MM ears are beefy & similar to the Koni.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe that he has broke them internally somehow multiple times. Fully prepared esp cobra r style with 1600lbs springs up front 550lbs rear and 315 front and rear, a bit of a monster

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think the 1600# springs is probably the problem. Thats another 950# on top of what I run on the front, and my car doesn't lean that much. I think the koni's arent rated high enough for what I'm running either, but not much lower.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts