Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 1995 GTS mustang that somehow has electric windows that I've owned for over a decade. I am personally getting extremely tired of changing the window motor regulators, or replacing the little plastic rollers on the inside of them every two years. What I've noticed since changing the regulators the last time is that the window motors keep pushing the windows up when they have reached the stopping point. It's like the motors are trying to push the windows out of the door, and there is no internal stop to keep the motors from going crazy. Is there some sort of diagnosis for this? The problem is I barely ever drive this car, or roll the windows up or down. However, the window motors always fail prematurely even when barely used. I only put around 1500 miles or less a year on this car. Is my car defective? It would be amazing if someone knew a permanent fix to this.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
It does have internal “stops”, they are in the motor itself.
They are made of plastic, and deteriorate with age, usually crumbling into what resembles a GAA grease. They are cheap and easy to replace with the new nylon parts.
Some people would use a 10mm nut, but that doesn’t have any give to it.

Usually when they fail, the window won’t go up/down and people assume the motor is bad.

Check that. There is no reason your regulator shouldn’t last another 20 years or more.

By the way, GTS cars could have any and all options added back and factory installed.
If you didn’t want something that was standard on the GT package, you had to go GTS to remove everything and then add back what you did want.

It’s misleading to think of it the same way as the foxbody stripper cars.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does have internal “stops”, they are in the motor itself.
They are made of plastic, and deteriorate with age, usually crumbling into what resembles a GAA grease. They are cheap and easy to replace with the new nylon parts.
Some people would use a 10mm nut, but that doesn’t have any give to it.

Usually when they fail, the window won’t go up/down and people assume the motor is bad.

Check that. There is no reason your regulator shouldn’t last another 20 years or more.

By the way, GTS cars could have any and all options added back and factory installed.
If you didn’t want something that was standard on the GT package, you had to go GTS to remove everything and then add back what you did want.

It’s misleading to think of it the same way as the foxbody stripper cars.
Well I guess I could take the motors back out and look inside them to see if the plastic stoppers are chewed up. What's weird is the windows still go up and down, but they just keep wanting to go up when they are all the way up. It feels like window motor wants to break the window. Now I wish that I did not throw away my original window motors. I thought they were done for.

Anyways, that makes sense about the GTS, because it would explain all the extra options my car came with. My cousin originally bought this car new, and I can see he added quite a few parts even. I'm just glad it did not come with electric seats, and the Mach 460 sound system which saves on weight.

·
Registered
23,075 Posts
just to be clear

are you saying when you release the switch the motor DOES NOT stop?

the driver window is the only one with the 'one touch' feature

so which window is the issue?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just to be clear

are you saying when you release the switch the motor DOES NOT stop?

the driver window is the only one with the 'one touch' feature

so which window is the issue?
Well the one touch still works, but the window feels like it's trying to go up and out of the door. I replaced both window motors, and both of them keep acting like they want to pop out violently if I roll up the window. I have to be very careful when the window reaches the seal because the motor starts popping like it's trying to break the window if my finger is still on the up switch. In other cars if your finger is still on the up switch and the window reaches the seal then it stops. In the mustang it just tries to break the window instead.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Yes, both window are acting the same. I am unsure what the window bumpstops are? Maybe I installed the window motors incorrectly?
I don’t think the motors can be installed incorrectly, it’s only 3 bolts, unless you don’t have the bolts tight.

The regulators on the other hand, yeah, they could be “off”

·
Registered
23,075 Posts
Yes, both window are acting the same. I am unsure what the window bumpstops are? Maybe I installed the window motors incorrectly?
there a many youtube videos that will show you

if you have a ford shop book it will show the proper setup procedure

1 - 10 of 10 Posts