Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all- I am changing out my fox body steering rack to an SN95 rack from a 2003 GT.
The fittings on the SN95 rack are different than the fox body rack, the two fittings for pressure and
return hose's are 14mm and 16mm. I want to change the fittings so that I can put a 6an braided hose
on.
I am a little confused as to which style fitting I need as the fox body style had this type -
with O ring at bottom (this has been worked on by prier owner)
Or do I use this type?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Hmm. I was under the impression that all fittings match up. The only requirement is a mm hybrid steering shaft and retaining fox specific inner and outer tie rods.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is on a Heidts front subframe. It was done back in 98-99 and they used the fox body power steering rack. The inner tie rod ends had a lot of slop in them so I just decided now would be a good time to make the change to the SN95 rack. Bought one with 23000 miles on the salvage car. Itcame with no line fittings on the return and pressure line.
The line I took off the fox rack had an adapter with a brass fitting with the o-ring on the end as in the first type above. It was not "stock" so I'm unsure why it was on and trying to determine the correct stock fittings for the SN95 rack.
I've purchased and installed the shorter fox inner and outer tie rods on the SN95 rack.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Rack you took out must not be a stock FOX rack, as the fitting should be same as the 03.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, lets say you are right. Which fittings are correct for the SN95 rack?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just 5 min ago threaded my stock fox lines into a used 03 rack.....as I'm doing a stock to 03 rack swap today

·
Registered
180 Posts
IDK the ones on the end of stock lines.....After driving the car this upgrade is really subtle. When driving at low speed its not as overboosted. In hindsight, I probably should have saved the $$. Maybe my opinion will change after MM swaps out the steering shaft I got, there's some play in the upper u-joint.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
These are the fittings you want for the rack. Those others ones might fit, but they will leak. I just went through this converting my car to hydroboost and putting 6AN fittings everywhere. Those cheapo fittings with the O-rings at the bottom don't really work. I've got a whole bin of useless 6AN conversion fittings that leaked. Theres a few that won''t. These MM fittings don't leak, and the Tuff-Stuff 5550P fitting (that connects to the pump) works well.

MM Power Steering Fitting Kit, Mustang steering rack to AN hose, 1979-2004 (maximummotorsports.com)

However, like others have said, the fox rack after a certain year (1983 maybe) and Sn95 racks use the same fittings, so if this was a boen stock fox, you could simply remove the fox rack and put the SN95 rack in and the two original lines will work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts