Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted last time that I had some fuel pump problems. Driving home car shut off on the freeway, towed car home...checked the fuses and fuel pump fuse was out. Replaced it, car ran fine for like 3 block then shut off again. Towed it back home, replaced the fuel pump, put a new fuse in and SAMETHING!! Fuel pump I put in was a used one...Could I have gotten a bad fuel pump? How can I check the fuel pump? Could this be something not related to the Fuel pump? CONFUSED HERE....NEED HELP ASAP!!! By the way Im working on my 98 Cobra.......If anyone knows what it can be please post ASAP! :confused:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I had the same problem with my car blowing the fuel pump fuse. Check the wire in your trunk that goes to the tank.It might be pinched. Mine was and was shorting out blowing the fuse under the hood. Also check under the car where the wire goes to the tank to make sure nothing is pinched and any bare wires are showing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...I was also thinking it might be the Fuel Pump Relay? Maybe its blown and thats causing the short? Thing is I dont know where its located. Theres some under the hood and some under the dash...but which one is which? I dont have the owners manual. So if theres anyone out there that knows which one is the fuel pump relay please let me know. Trying to get this fixed by the weekend. Anyone else know what might be causing this short????? CONFUSED AND DESPERATE PLEASE HELP :confused:

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Totally sounds like a cut wire or bad relay. If it's the relay you may or may not get a blown fuse depending on the heat in the relay. If it's a cut wire going down bumpy roads would show that rather quickly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone one know where the fuel pump relay is located? No idea here, Ive got no manual for the car....And how would I check to see if its bad?

·
Registered
95 Posts
A 98 Cobra does not have a fuel pump relay. the wire leaves the processor, goes to the fuse panel, the to the inertia switch then to the pump

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info...Called up my friend at Ford...He told me its a short someplace. Told me to jus tow it in and he'll fix it at no charge. Its nice having friends in those kinda places. Again thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Your Cobra DOES have a fuel pump relay. It sits above the EEC in the right kick panel. Its function is to insert a big resistor inline to the pump to reduce the voltage, thus making for a longer life pump and cooler fuel, when under low throttle situations. Many people confuse the click at 3250 rpm under their glove box as the IMRC relay. The click is the fuel pump relay shorting the resistor to provide full voltage to the pump. There isn't an IMRC relay as the EEC sends the signal directly to the CCRM to turn on IMRCs.

All that said, I also would suspect a wire to the pump in or around the trunk and tank.

Chris

·
Registered
660 Posts
I had the same problems with my 98 also. I am not sure if it is still there but at least it has not happened in the last 1000 miles. It stoped blowing the fuse when I replaced the CCRM. Let me know what your friend finds out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Planning on towing her in tomorrow. Ill let you guys know what my friend finds out as soon as i do....once again thanks for the info guys! safe racing....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts