Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace A/C clutch switch on my 1988 GT. I have to cut the old plug off the harness and splice in the new. It appears the original harness has three wires going into the plug. Yet, all new replacements have two wires into the plug. What am I missing? Thanks.

Jim Norton
Huntsville, Alabama

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
there is a diode in parallel with the clutch coil, it needs to be installed

two bk/y go to diode one from the clutch and one from the dash

on the other side of the diode

two bk wires, one to body ground and one to the other side of the clutch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you but I am not understanding. From what I have gathered its a simple effort in cutting the bad connector off and splicing the new one in. If there are three wires on the original connector why are there not three on the replacement part? Right now this corroded 30 year old OEM connector is the only thing stopping the AC from working. Thanks.

Jim Norton
Huntsville, Alabama

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
you have the wrong connector i guess

my explanation was quite clear, if you look at the proper wiring diagram you will see visually

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thank you but I am not understanding. From what I have gathered its a simple effort in cutting the bad connector off and splicing the new one in. If there are three wires on the original connector why are there not three on the replacement part? Right now this corroded 30 year old OEM connector is the only thing stopping the AC from working. Thanks.

Jim Norton
Huntsville, Alabama
Just wondering. Does the new (3) prong connector fit? If so, why not replace the two wires in the body wiring harness to the matching pins and call it "job done"?

If the new connector does not fit the AC clutch coil than I have to believe as well that the work should be double checked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
if you are changing the SWITCH connector the 3 wire is for a pressure switch that tells the ECM the pressure of the system where a 2 wire is a on or off switch

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
3 wire is a transducer, not a pressure switch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts