Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I an going turbo I am looking at swapping my expansion tank and relocating it to the stock battery location. Anyone else done this and if so what tank did you use?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Since I an going turbo I am looking at swapping my expansion tank and relocating it to the stock battery location. Anyone else done this and if so what tank did you use?
I am doing the same. However, I'm going with a Dewitts radiator that has the fill cap/end tank built right in like the 5.0's do. I'm than just running a small overflow tank which I'll hide somewhere maybe mounted to the inner rail or fender. That way you can completely remove the big overflow tank all together

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am doing the same. However, I'm going with a Dewitts radiator that has the fill cap/end tank built right in like the 5.0's do. I'm than just running a small overflow tank which I'll hide somewhere maybe mounted to the inner rail or fender. That way you can completely remove the big overflow tank all together
I have a mishimoto radiator and really hate to replace it. I don't mind a overflow tank. Mine will be hydrodipped so it would take look bad. Just want to locate one that can sit in the stock battery location.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I have a mishimoto radiator and really hate to replace it. I don't mind a overflow tank. Mine will be hydrodipped so it would take look bad. Just want to locate one that can sit in the stock battery location.
If you want to still keep the big tank and just relocate it, I would imagine you would just need to lengthen the lower hose and feed hose from the radiator and keep the fill cap the same height for burping reasons

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want to still keep the big tank and just relocate it, I would imagine you would just need to lengthen the lower hose and feed hose from the radiator and keep the fill cap the same height for burping reasons
I actually want to eliminate the big tank and use a smaller tank that will fit nicely near the stock battery location.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I have one mounted beside the battery in the fender apron. It's some $8 dorman tank from amazon. Has bottom nipple and cap on top.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one mounted beside the battery in the fender apron. It's some $8 dorman tank from amazon. Has bottom nipple and cap on top.
I hoping to find a decent aluminum tank. I will be having it hydrodipped to match a lot of other parts I have on the car. My battery is in the trunk so I will have plenty of space.
Does the cap need to be higher than the engine?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I hoping to find a decent aluminum tank. I will be having it hydrodipped to match a lot of other parts I have on the car. My battery is in the trunk so I will have plenty of space.
Does the cap need to be higher than the engine?
No, the tank can be mounted at nearly any elevation as long as the fluid is taken from the bottom of it. Coolant will be forced from the radiator to the tank and back regardless of its elevation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts