Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a delivery vehicle for my business (make/sell furniture). I was going to buy a Honda Element (known to be a great car for small business owners) and then I thought well, maybe I should get something that can tow my mustang to the track, too (open trailer) because I don’t know if my c10 would be capable. Maybe I should get a suburban or something.

Should I tow with my c10 and get a Honda Element for delivering? Or kill two birds with one stone and get a big suv? If so, what SUV?$3,500 budget.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Towing a car trailer with a car on the back and a short wheelbase vehicle can be problematic. For you budget I would look for the same thing you have there but a 3/4 ton long wheel base 2 wheel drive. There are decent ones around me that with some negotiating can be had for that number. Find a gear vendors unit for the TH350 or TH400 in the truck and you will have something.

Jake

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
A.) How heavy is your car/trailer combination? 4,000 lbs? 5,000?
B.) How far are you typically going to be towing? 50 miles one way? Less? More?
C.) How often are you going to actually tow?
D.) Really hilly or mostly flat towing?

If you are towing even 100 miles one way and the load isn't more than 5000 lbs, put a proper hitch on the C10 and move on. The C10 can handle 4500-5000 pounds. I wouldn't worry about a short wheelbase pulling an open trailer with your typical foxbody on it.

I don't know what $3500 buys out your way, but $3500 buys junk in NY.

I'd buy the nicest 2011 or older $3500 Ranger longbox I could find. Put a tall cap on it and run it. They are tough as nails little trucks. And they can carry a respectable load. Find one with a 4.0 and they can tow 5,000 lbs too.

Be careful about using a business vehicle to tow a personal trailer. Even if it's a personal trailer, once it's hooked up to a commercial/business truck all the commercial towing rules apply. Like if you approach a DOT check you gotta pull in. Private vehicles do not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Towing a car trailer with a car on the back and a short wheelbase vehicle can be problematic. For you budget I would look for the same thing you have there but a 3/4 ton long wheel base 2 wheel drive. There are decent ones around me that with some negotiating can be had for that number. Find a gear vendors unit for the TH350 or TH400 in the truck and you will have something.

Jake

Yea that’s what I’ve heard (but never experienced. Never towed before) but then I hear other people towing with similar trucks with the “it’s fiiiine. Just be smart/careful” attitude. And I’m ok with that, I’d just have a hard time trusting brakes, axles, bearings, tires, ect on this old truck.. plus, your right, I have a built th350 but im at 4500 RPMS at 65mph freeway.

Im leaning more towards a Ford e250 or Chevy Astro Van now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yea that’s what I’ve heard (but never experienced. Never towed before) but then I hear other people towing with similar trucks with the “it’s fiiiine. Just be smart/careful” attitude. And I’m ok with that, I’d just have a hard time trusting brakes, axles, bearings, tires, ect on this old truck.. plus, your right, I have a built th350 but im at 4500 RPMS at 65mph freeway.

Im leaning more towards a Ford e250 or Chevy Astro Van now.
I have no experience with a Ford E250. But the Astro van as a tow vehicle I do. I used to have those as delivery vehicles for the business. My dad was bringing a Corvette back Michigan behind one of our Astro delivery vans. There was an accident in front of him about 1 in the morning on the interstate. He got on the brakes and said the whole thing got out of shape and tried to jack knife. Had to use and off-ramp as an extra slow down area. Said he would have piled into the accident or created a new one without the off-ramp. That's a short wheel based vehicle for you.

Jake

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
If the short wheel base is the issue, how do the single axle tractor trailers not crash all the time left and right? Being hitch pull may have an effect, but it's not the issue. Overloading and/or improper setup is almost always the actual cause of an accident.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If the short wheel base is the issue, how do the single axle tractor trailers not crash all the time left and right? Being hitch pull may have an effect, but it's not the issue. Overloading and/or improper setup is almost always the actual cause of an accident.

Sort of. With the trailer attached to the point where it is on the frame. When the brakes are applied and the weight shifts forward the rear axle acts as a hinge pint and the leverage applied at the tongue moves all the weight onto the front axle without lifting the rear tires.

With a class three trailer hitch mounted low behind the rear axle it has the effect of lifting the rear off the road. But yes you are correct. The Astro van was at its limits. It was a cargo van and did not have a lot of weight inside at the time. I'm not saying it will happen for sure. All I am saying is that the odds are increased.

Mount the car trailer on the short bed in a fifth wheel arrangement and just about all this goes away.

Jake

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Agreed.

It really matters how it's hooked up and loaded. I take towing seriously. Too many people are too nonchalant about it.

I see trucks every summer on our family camping trips that have way way way too much tongue weight as they go down the road. I also see some with not enough. But usually too much. I keep my camper as close to perfectly level as possible. The three most important things in my world are in that truck and I sure don't want to do something stupid to hurt (or worse) my wife, daughter or son.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Right there with you. Unfortunately for me my dad is 82 going on 12. He approaches most problems in this manner. But at least for towing now he grabs my truck and trailer. That incident really got his attention. Thank God no one else had to pay for that.

Jake

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
OP. I looked up C10's and towing. I have to retract my initial opinion. The C10 is not great for towing much of anything stock, let alone modified like yours.

Don't know what year of E250 you are looking at but in 2007, for example, the E250 had a maximum trailer weight of 7500lbs. There are other factors that WILL reduce that limit. But if you plan to tow 5,000 lbs or less, the E250 would be a viable option. More than that would require a more detailed look into the weights before saying you're good to go.

My F150 is rated to tow up to 8,000 lbs. But if I put all the stuff in my truck I normally carry and my family and fill up the fuel tank then hook up my 5,500 lb travel trailer I am within 500lbs or over loaded by GCWR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts