Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basic combo is 331, 9.5-1 comp, e-85, trick flow high port, 76mm at 20-24lbs of boost, 105lb injectors.

What sparkplug would you suggest?

Other issue is this engine seems to want to run alot hotter then my last one. I'm having a difficult time keeping the temp from going above 210. The sensor is in the traditional location for a fox and it's Autometer electric. The Anderson PMS is showing coolant temps at 195 and it gets it's reading from the factory coolant temp sensor which is plumed in on the back passenger side of the intake.

I'm thinking about doing away with the thermostat all together and just running a 3/4" water restricter. Thoughts? good or bad idea?

I have a brass/copper 2 core police package style radiator with a Flex-a-lite 175 2800cfm puller fan, stock water pump with a stock diameter pulley and an overdriven crank pulley.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Your PMS is not going to get an accurate reading on that rear passenger port. That is probably why the PMS is showing a different reading than the autometer gauge. I know it doesn't solve your problem, but I figured I'd mention it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could move the sensor to the front passenger side of the intake where the coolant tube used to screw into (I don't have a heater core). The problem I'm having is the temp difference. It wasn't a problem with my last engine and the sensors were in the same location as they are now. The difference was 3-5 degrees difference max not 15+.

I also have a temp gauge built into the cap of the radiator cap and it closely matches the higher 210+ reading I'm getting from the Autometer gauge and my heat gun.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Did you burp the coolant system? Jack the front up as high as your jack will go and open cap up.

I use a restrictor instead of a thermostat. Keeps temps lower then the high flow 160 did.

Is radiator cap good?

My temps also lowered when I got the tune right at part throttle. With race gas the car wants a lot of timing at part throttle.

Any obstructions in front of radiator?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you burp the coolant system? Jack the front up as high as your jack will go and open cap up.

I use a restrictor instead of a thermostat. Keeps temps lower then the high flow 160 did.

Is radiator cap good?

My temps also lowered when I got the tune right at part throttle. With race gas the car wants a lot of timing at part throttle.

Any obstructions in front of radiator?
Yeah the cooling system is free of air.

I ordered the 3 pack today, what size worked for you? I was gonna start out with the 3/4".

The bottom half of the radiator is partially covered by the intercooler

What sparkplugs are you running?

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
I am running the NGK FR5 plug gapped at .032 in the combo below.

My car runs hot too for E85 but it is because my tune was set ultra conservative, so much so, that it runs hot from a LACK of timing.

What kind of timing are you running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts