Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trac-lok in my stock 8.8 finally burned up this past year and im trying to beef things up for this year the best i can on a budget

Im going to keep the stock trac-lok for now, and originally picked up an FMS clutch kit but the one without the s-spring. Before rebuilding it, i decided to now get some 31 spline axles and a buddy was going to send me 31 spline spider gears to pop in my unit...

One if my main questions right now is how many people actually use the S-spring from a f150 or lightning? Or is that all just a bunch of bs and should i just use my stock one, or get a stock new one?

·
Registered
206 Posts
You can't swap out the side gears from a 31 spline unit, the carrier is different. Normally the S spring is a little larger for the 31 spline truck unit and should be used with that carrier. Trying to use the larger spring in a 28 spline carrier can cause a poor fit if you can get it in at all.

·
Registered
404 Posts
/\ /\ /\
true!!!! they will not fit.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
crap, oh well

i'm about to order some axles from summit in a few days, one other thing, can you use the same FMS clutch kit for either 28 spline or 31 spline carriers? or do the 31 spline carriers need their own size clutches?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if im going to look for a 31 spline unit, it has to be one from a car like a cobra or something, it cant be any sort of truck carrier right?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Almost no Rangers have 31 spline axles. Explorers and F150's is your best bet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts