Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys get the kit that has pintels, caps, filter baskets, and do it yourself. I just ordered the kit, and doing it in a couple days. Anything I should look for, and how should they be after thirty years. Any cleaning advice that may not be in a video.

·
Registered
24,697 Posts
unless these are impossible to find new, sounds like a big waste of time

just me.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
FWIW, I did this. Made a 9v injector activation tool. Easy to do with parts from the local parts stores. I used a replacement injector pigtail, a battery pigtail, and added a momentary switch for activation. You will need an air source that only puts about 10# on the injector and a hose (long enough to hold the solution) to connect the two. Use your favorite cleaning solution (I used the stuff you pour into the tank to clean injectors). Have a pan ready. Put hose on injector, fill with solution add air (slowly) while activating the injector. Takes a couple of times to get it right but once you have the hang of it you can see the spray pattern. Then reassemble with the new parts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will note what comes up. I hope I am not doing it for nothing. My car is not smooth above 4000 rpms. And it seems a little like its running a cam at idle, so I am looking for air getting in somewhere. I am going to replace, and lengthen some vac lines. We will see , thanks for the replies

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I bought some old Ford 36# injectors off a Corral member and rebuilt those. One or two were missing pentel caps and the seals. The kit I bought came with all those as well as the filter baskets. Turned out, they were low impedance injectors so they didn't work with my ECU. But the spray patterns and flow were good on all of them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stupid question from me as an amateur electric guy...If I put twelve volts to the injector, and it seems to pressure up and makes a sound is that a positive sign that is working.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Stupid question from me as an amateur electric guy...If I put twelve volts to the injector, and it seems to pressure up and makes a sound is that a positive sign that is working.
It's a solenoid, so when you power them up, you should hear a click. If you were to check resistance with a multi-meter, you would get around 14.4 ohms.

A 9V battery will trigger them as well. I made my own little tool just like qtracer. You can buy injector harness plugs easily on Amazon. Just need a 9V batter lead, and a momentary switch and you can make it.

Reactions: Potomus Pete

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
What Mike said, plus you need to check the pattern and flow. Adding the hose filled with cleaner fluid and pressurized will allow you to see the injector spraying. The hose is meant for fluid volume otherwise, the fluid squirts out too fast just filling the injector.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to follow up. I rebuilt my injectors, and noticed one of them did not have a small pin sticking out of the hole at the bottom. So seven had a pin, and one was just a hole. So something was nor right. The car runs, but stutters slightly as the rpm's go up to three thousand. I am thinking about getting eight rebuilt ones off E Bay. The guy sounds good with his claims they are all tested and rebuilt. What do you guys think of the pin situation. Supposed to have pins or not, also E Bay rebuilds...90 lx with 19 lb. injectors
KIMG0780.JPG KIMG0785.JPG
KIMG0790.JPG
KIMG0794.JPG

·
Registered
323 Posts
I bought some old Ford 36# injectors off a Corral member and rebuilt those. One or two were missing pentel caps and the seals. The kit I bought came with all those as well as the filter baskets. Turned out, they were low impedance injectors so they didn't work with my ECU. But the spray patterns and flow were good on all of them.
How can you tell if they are low impedance? What is the correct impedance for a stock ECU?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
How can you tell if they are low impedance? What is the correct impedance for a stock ECU?
Do an ohm check. Low is around 3; high is around 12. Stock Fox 5.0 ECU uses high impedance. The 36# I bought were for an SVO or TB Turbo Coupe. I didn't know Ford used low impedance injectors for those motors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts