Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, it's been a long time since I have participated in the community here (about 8 years). I have noticed some familiar names still here and I hope all is well with you guys.

After catastrophic failure, occurred at the track 8 years ago, I had to put the stang in storage. Being a new father at the time, I simply couldn't afford it anymore. Plus the Ol' Lady wasn't too thrilled about the 8k invested in the motor being destroyed.

The old 306 combo, which consisted of FTI AFR 185's and FTI Cam, topped with a Victor Jr. and Pro-Systems carb did go [email protected], blowing up in the lights on a 100 shot, with a 1.34 60'.

It was definitely an awesome 10 seconds, that ended with the sensation of hitting a brick wall at the end :blam:

With life changing events, and a new outlook on life, I have the itch again for the 1320.

The following is info about the "Heartbreaker". The asterisk signifies what is new to the combo:

ENGINE:

Dart Iron Eagle 8.2" 12:1 355 Stroker*

Edelbrock Super Victor 8.2 Intake*

FTI TFS High Ports/Shaft Mount Rockers*

FTI Custom grind cam*

Pro Systems Carburetor

EXHAUST:

Kooks Headers

Dynomax Bullet Mufflers

TRANSMISSION:

PowerGlide

REAREND:

Strange Equipped 8.8" with spool, 35 spline axles, 5/8 Studs
C-clip eliminators, T/A Girdle, 4.10 Gears.

IGNITION:

MSD Digital 7
MSD Billet Distributor, Power Master 140 amp Alt.

CHASSIS:

"Star Chassis" 12 point chromoly cage

Reinforced upper and lower control boxes

Steeda Adjustable upper control arms

HPM Megabite Jr lower control arms

Wolfe Racecraft Anti Swaybar

Afco 3870R Dual adjustable shocks*

(2) Eibach "RR" Drag launch Springs

QA1 Pro-active Front end.

Strange Front Coil Overs*

FUEL SYSTEM"

RCI 10 Gallon Fuel Cell

Aeromotive A2000, -8 line to regulator, -6 lines to carb

Seperate Holley Blue Pump, -6 line to regulator, with return line from regulator to cell, for Nitrous Fuel Supply

POWER ADDER:

Induction Solutions Nitrous System.

The estimated timeframe for completion is, well, not soon. But after seeing DeuceCoupe's and Sick89Coupe's threads, it inspired me to start one of my own.

Hopefully some of you will enjoy my journey to getting the "Heartbreak of Today's Chevrolet" back on the street/strip.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't remember the car but I'm sure we have familiar friends locally and don't even know it. Hope you get it back out and enjoy it again!!

·
USAF retired
9,038 Posts
I remember you, welcome back!!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
LOL well wipe off the dust she looks like a 9 sec car still.. But that wing thing looks 8 years ago though!! Welcome back and hope to read about your build.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I see you're going to run a Jerico. You're going to love it!!!!!!! Nothing like rowing the gears clutchless!!!!! Were you running a stick before?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the compliments guys. My first priority is getting the shortblock paid for, which will take a couple of months. Then the upper half of the motor.

Hey JD, If you wouldn't mind sharing some info on the Jerico plus a clutch selection I would appreciate it.

Can the Jerico be downshifted by "matching RPM's" (ie like a Mack Truck tranny)? Or are the Dog rings absolutely necessary for limited street use, cruise nights for example?

How long is the Driveshaft? You using a Quicktime BH? Are you using an adjustable pressure plate? Did you have to do any BH mods for access?

Any info on clutch tuning would be appreciated. I have zero experience with the adjustable pressure plates.

The tranny that was in it before was a Tremec 3550, with a Ram clutch/pressure plate and sintered iron disc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on the build..

Tranny plans have been changed to a glide. I am going to race in a local Drag Radial class, and one of the "Top Dogs" convinced me that I dont have the time, money, or crew to campaign a DR4 on a Drag Radial. He said to put a glide in it and worry about tuning one less thing.

I have removed the emergency brake and built a plate around the manual tranny opening, and the E-brake opening:

The plate doesn't appear straight in the pic, but I assure you it is.

I haven't completed the carpet layout yet.

I have also removed the door braces from both doors as well as deleted the wiper assembly. I will be using a Harwood smooth cowl panel.

I have also removed the saleen wing in preparation for an aluminum wing.

The previous owner didn't take much care in mounting the wing. Next year I am planning on a new decklid so I used some "Hole Buttons" I found at Home Depot for a "15 footer" fix:

I have found the NX Dual Stage Nitrous plate. I may have to use it to start next season. Plans are to add a 2 stage "Induction Solutions" direct port system in the future.

My buddy also had my radiator, powermaster 140 alternator, my X-member, and braided line and fittings for my carb. So that was a bonus!

I am still paying for the short block. Thankfully, slwpny has been understanding with that. Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Welcome back! Good luck - my best to you. Hey, I like that color.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I was gonna say, PLEASE TAKE WING OFF!! LOL..Bet it feels great to get the ol' girl back in racing shape.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Nice!!! Good luck with the build!! At least you got to hold onto the car and are rebuilding it!

·
Banned
255 Posts
Nice car. Impressive that you did get to hold on to it for that long. I think I would have sold it honestly. Just out of being fed up with not being able to do anything with it. Good luck on the build.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
How much does that front bumber cover weight? Looks thick? Cant go wrong with a glide you wont regret it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The bumper cover/spoiler doesn't weigh anymore then a 87-93 GT spoiler. It is off of an 82 GT, which was my first car. It stays.....

The seats and door panels were also from my 82.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts