Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished most of the other resto/upgrades on the 97 cobra (minus paint) and I am turning my attention to the engine/trans. My original thought was a built engine with a twin screw. Partly because I like the look and partly because I like the torque. I was thinking Kenne Bell, but it looks like their Cali legal kit is only 6 PSI. I am assuming I could swap the pulley/tune every year (which is how often I have to smog), but I would prefer to just set it up one way. I searched for a post on this and came up short. If there is one someone could point me to that would be great. A few details:

Car needs to smog in Cali (all smog parts need a CARB number)
Money really isn't my main concern, though it is not unlimited.
I want a reliable and easy to maintain setup. The car isn't a DD, but it could be.
I want a setup that pulls hard all the way to red line.
I can get my hands on e85 here in SD if that is the way to go, but I also like the 91 intercooled route (Cali doesn't sell 93).

For the money and effort being put into the setup 500whp didn't seem outrageous, but 6psi isn't going to get me there. I would sacrifice some HP/TQ for ease of maintenance. Also, I had a Termi for a while and it ran 430 to the wheels with a pulley swap for years, so this should be doable to add some to that. Happy to do heads, whatever internals, etc. to get there.

So, what I am looking for is anyone in Cali with a supercharged setup that meets some / all of the above requirements and what numbers you are putting to the wheels. Or, any input on what folks would recommend given the above.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I'd put the 6 psi kit on it and just swap pulleys if it even needs to be swapped. You might be able to run 10 or even 12 psi and have it tuned well enough to pass. If not, a 6 psi test tune and a XX psi rest of the time tune.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
How in the world would anyone know at a test facility what a 6 psi set up looked like? You could go in with 12 psi available and they would never know it. They do not test for emissions at WOT. Nobody is looking at a boost gauge.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Do you mind telling me what numbers you are putting down with your setup and/or what mods you have? Also, any regrets? With the system choice or things you would have done with it? Just trying to get as much info as possible before blowing a bunch of cash. :eek:)

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How in the world would anyone know at a test facility what a 6 psi set up looked like? You could go in with 12 psi available and they would never know it. They do not test for emissions at WOT. Nobody is looking at a boost gauge.
You are probably right. I was more concerned with having to order the thing with the CARB number (6 PSI) and then having to swap the pulley and tune to match. Then, whether or not the tune would pass smog. Also, I wasn't sure if there were any differences in the 2 units other than pulley size. Really, I just want to know what my options are.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
5 minute pulley swap. No new tune needed.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You will meet or exceed your gouls on 12 psi. The tip in fueling for a roots setup will be different from one boost level to another. I would get it tuned with both pulleys. Buy a hand held so you can change the tune yourself. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
You will meet or exceed your gouls on 12 psi. The tip in fueling for a roots setup will be different from one boost level to another. I would get it tuned with both pulleys. Buy a hand held so you can change the tune yourself. Just my 2 cents.
How is that exactly? Tip in is tip in. Max boost is something different. WOT with 6 psi, even with a twin screw, is much the same as WOT with 12 psi. The tip in portion, going from manifold vacuum through zero vacuum/boost is the same transition regardless of the max boost dialed in.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It's accelerator enrichment. More air more fuel. Holley uses the TPS to add fuel. One may get by with the same multiplier some may not. If you go to rich it may not pass the emission.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the input. I'll have to research / digest a bit. I don't mind having 2 tunes if that's required. Also, I didn't see anything to sway me from the twin screw setup, which is nice.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
The twin screw is probably the path of least resistance for your goal with the CA emissions certification hurdle.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
It's accelerator enrichment. More air more fuel. Holley uses the TPS to add fuel. One may get by with the same multiplier some may not. If you go to rich it may not pass the emission.
They do not stick a sniffer in the tail pipe anymore. If the CEL is off with no stored codes, including P1000, then it is a pass. Calif does do a visual inspection as well, but with a CARB number on the S/C that is a pass as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts