Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the aluminum covers on the rearend help that much?? What brand is the best?? If they work I might as well do one when I do the gears.

Thanks Bud

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
If you are running slicks a strong cover will help keep your bearings aligned during hard launches. If you do not use slicks the only real advantage is the larger amount of oil in the diff. But they look cool and will be an advantage if you use slicks in the future.

Dwayne

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dwayne:

Do you know if one brand is better then the others?

Bud

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't know which one is the "best" but I have the SVO cover which includes the mounting bolts. Through Summit it was about $160, the T/A cover is $160 w/o the bolts which are an extra $25.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think?? T/A was the originator of the rearend girdle (or at least the one to start to really market it). I bought mine about 3 years ago for my 5.0 which still fits my 98 Cobra (8" rear). I like it. I look at it as a little extra insurance, but the statement is correct that it most like really isn't needed unless there are slicks or DRs. I shopped around and got it with bolts for about $150. But was a while back. They also do look good.

If you get one, be VERY specific on setting the support bolts. They are in inch #'s not foot #'s. They really just need to rest up against the main caps and not really apply pressure. This is so they do not bust out. Otherwise you can misshapen you caps.

2 more advantages are the filler plug and the drain plug. Use silicone on all caps and bolts and it will never leak.

Good luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've got the SVO cover. Had to use thread tape on the bottom drain plug to keep it from seeping.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!! I was looking at the SVO cover. Guess thats what I will go with.

Thanks again!!

Bud

1 - 7 of 7 Posts