Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into this sway bar when one of my friends told me he broke one. Anyone else run into this? Also he has stock lower control arms on his car. The Steeda swaybar broke in the same place the stock one broke.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Are you talking about the stock replacement style bar Steeda sells or the adjustable bar? The stock replacement one seems to be a piece of crap. I ordered one to put on my '79 after changind the control arms because the bolt hole spacing is less on the older bars. The mounting surfaces did not match up with those of the control arms well so even when tightened they weren't making contact with the plates on the arms properly.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I had the 100$ or whatever adjustable on my car for a full season of autox. I personally liked the bar, however I ran the bar on FULL STIFF all the time.

FWIW, the Steeda adj. sway bar will not work with MM PHB. ;)

·
Registered
17,035 Posts
Addco sells a more heavy duty bar simular to the steeda unit but about 3/4 - 1" thick. It mounts to the axle housing and to the frame rails via links.

CJ pony parts had them

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
My brother snapped one of the Steeda replacement rear swaybars on his '95GT. Don't know exactly which bar it was because the car had a whole bunch of Steeda suspension stuff on it when he bought it. He is now using the MM replacement bar.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Or you can go with EVM rear sb.... i've got one

I run the heavier one, If you brake one, i will send you $20, that thing is BIG.
I've seen this bar on their website and wondered how much more effective it is over stock since it appears to use the stock mounting points on the lca's. They also state it is adjustable. Can you share your impressions of this bar and how "adjustable it really is?

I have the MM TA/PHB set up so I wonder if it will clear...

Thanks.
John

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
jw98lx said:
I've seen this bar on their website and wondered how much more effective it is over stock since it appears to use the stock mounting points on the lca's. They also state it is adjustable. Can you share your impressions of this bar and how "adjustable it really is?

I have the MM TA/PHB set up so I wonder if it will clear...

Thanks.
John
If you have a MM TA/PHB, why not stay with MM and get their adjustable rear sway bar? It is best to stick with one company as fewer complications will be encountered, like panhard/swaybar clearance.

·
Registered
965 Posts
They have 3 different positions you can install it. And you have two different size bars. That makes a total of 6 different setups.

About how effective they are.. i'd say that coming from a GT swaybar to the EVM in the second stiffest (2 of 6) setup; I feel the difference driving on the street... nothing TOO noticeable but you can notice it. I haven't been at the track since i installed it. I have to wait until March :)

Ahh.. and yes, it will clear the PHB. I have a MM PHB as well.

I can post pics later...

·
Registered
850 Posts
Oktavius said:
If you have a MM TA/PHB, why not stay with MM and get their adjustable rear sway bar? It is best to stick with one company as fewer complications will be encountered, like panhard/swaybar clearance.
Not a bad idea.:)

I have both and the MM adjustable stabar is designed to mount to the chassis and rear axle housing. No lca attachment point silliness. And, no breakage issues.

I have the -4 bar which starts about where the '94 Cobra bar leaves off and gets stiffer from there (YMMV). The adjustment range has really helped in tuning my suspension. Different sized bars may be swapped in and out if you need to.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I agree totally. I was more curious than anything on its effectivness considering the stock mounting points.

Blackstripes, I'd still be interested in seeing it installed.:)

John

·
Registered
965 Posts
LOL .. i told my wife while i was posting this... i bet you someone will notice the tires... she said, nah, you can barely see them :)

Yup, 615s... and i LOVE those tires!!! i had all kind of street tires, MXs, Goodyears... etc etc... nothing compare with them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts