Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much wider is a sn-95 rear end housing than a fox from edge of bearing retainers? not with the axles i know those add .75" per side.

or is it the later cars 99- 04 that have the wider housing? either way what rears are wider than the fox's, and by how much per side?

·
Registered
695 Posts
The Mustang 8.8" rear end housing is the same from '86-'98. The '99-'04 housing is wider.

--Vince

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
1.5 inches per side, 3 inches total.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok cool, so would this mean it is 3" wider total than a fox rear with sn-95 axles?? i mean the point of the added .75" of the sn-95 axles was for disc brakes, and the stock fox axles were shorter because it came with drums right? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
The extra .75 axle length on SN95's is to accomodate the ABS rings but the housing stayed the same length. So a 99-03 housing is 3 inches wider than a 86-98 housing, and the track width is 3 inches wider than 86-93's and 1.5 inches wider than 94-98's.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The extra .75 axle length on SN95's is to accomodate the ABS rings but the housing stayed the same length. So a 99-03 housing is 3 inches wider than a 86-98 housing, and the track width is 3 inches wider than 86-93's and 1.5 inches wider than 94-98's.
so if im running a fox rear with sn95 axles(+.75" each side) which is 1.5" wider total. add .75" in spacers more per side which would be 1.50" total each side and 3" total overall.

this would be the same as having 99-03 rear with 99-03 axles and no spacers, along with the housing being 1.5" wider per side closing the gap the sn95 axles made on fox housing.?

basically a 3" wider version of stock width fox rear? no gap like on a 98 housing?

i ask this because i think in order to use GR 4 on 4 rear brakes in a fox you need to have stock fox length 5 lug axles not sn95 axles.? this would create a situation where i would need 1.5" spacers on each side to get the wheel where i have it now-- which is too much spacer, therefore wanting the 99 rear with no spacers.

this is hard to explain in txt, am i getting my idea across?

·
Registered
695 Posts
If you want to use an '86-'98 housing and have the same track width as a '99-'04 then you would need '94-'98 axles and .75" spacers (per side). The '99-'04 rear end assembly is ~3" wider (total) than the Fox rear end assembly.

--Vince

·
Registered
644 Posts
When I went from a 98 to 99 housing my track grew a little over an 1 1/2". I measured both axles on the ground but I've forgotten those measurements. I'm ASSuming your including the extra length in the axles too?

Sorry, missed this.

·
Registered
657 Posts
how much wider is a sn-95 rear end housing than a fox from edge of bearing retainers? not with the axles i know those add .75" per side.

or is it the later cars 99- 04 that have the wider housing? either way what rears are wider than the fox's, and by how much per side?
To answer you question about housing width per Ford Engineering prints:

Overall Width (edit -- HOUSING)
94-98 -- 56.198" - 56.094"
99-04 -- 57.616" - 57.512"

Brake Flange Mounting Surface
94-98 -- 54.10"
99-04 -- 55.51"

1.41" difference, 0.705" added each end to move the bearings out to support the longer axles.

This is housing width as you orginally asked for, not axle flange to axle flange. Not sure where this 3" stuff is coming from but it's not in the housing as a few have stated. I think a few switched gears and started talking about flange to flange.

I can also tell you that the 93 and prior 8.8 Mustang/T-Bird housing match the 94-98 dimensions. I have a T-Bird housing on my bench now for a project which is why I have most of this data at my fingertips.

I'm actually trying to find a housing longer than the 99+ housing but with the NVH damper mounting pads cast into the center section like the Mustang which is how the MM torque are mounts. I need the extra housing length to aid in building a full floater. Going to start pulling Lincoln and Crown Vic prints next. The S197 housing is perfect but doesn't have the flanges needed to mount a TA. Would work great for custom 3-link!

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
That is too easy.

Take each axle, 29.16", multiply by two, 58.32". Add the diameter of the differential pin, 0.75". You get 59.07" from axle flange to axle flange, WITH a new tight clutch pack. As the clutches wear, the number will get slightly larger. That is one of the reasons that Toys widths above, have a range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
98-99

so a 94-98 rear end and 99 up are the same width? Only difference is the housing was extended outwards to support the longer axles? (alot of numbers alittle confused) ( edit: I guess it would be axle flange to axle flangr is the same?)

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
No. Look at the measurements that TOYS posted.

Make a drawing on a piece of paper to see this. The 99+ axles must be longer or his measurements are not possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
so after lengthening the housing the axles were done the same, im geussing to accomodate the ABS rings?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Guys, just to be clear...., the measurements I quoted are for a bare housing, no axles. The orginal question was about the housing.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
I never can figure why this is so hard to understand.

Model...Axle version...Housing version
.Fox....A...1
.SN95..B...1
99-04..C...2

The axle lengths get longer with each model change. The housing lengths only changed between the SN95 and the 99-04.

You can put SN95 axles in a foxbody housing. You can put Fox axles in an SN95 housing. You can NOT put either Fox or SN95 axles in a 99-04 housing, nor can you put 99-04 axles in a Fox housing. You might be able to get away with 99-04 axles in an SN95 housing, not sure.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts