Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Formerly known as jbj302
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running a Ford Traction lock until last night. Something broke in my rear end, but it wasn't the axles. Looking for something better that will hold up. May as well upgrade since I have to go in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
If it is almost always track, spool. If it is a mix consider a real good differential like a Wave Trak style or the best you can buy. I've had three wave trak (or however they are spelled) and they are awesome. Totally quiet, smooth, no surge turning, and they always lock both wheels. They handle a ton of power in the 33 spline model.

·
Formerly known as jbj302
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it is almost always track, spool. If it is a mix consider a real good differential like a Wave Trak style or the best you can buy. I've had three wave trak (or however they are spelled) and they are awesome. Totally quiet, smooth, no surge turning, and they always lock both wheels. They handle a ton of power in the 33 spline model.
So you dislike the Eaton Detroit Trutrac that I posted the link about?

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
So you dislike the Eaton Detroit Trutrac that I posted the link about?

I don't dislike any posi unit for racing except 28 spline stock units. I've used everything from weak 28 spline Fords to 40 spline spools. You really have to pick something that fits your budget and abuse.

A 31 spline truck posi with restacked clutches will work about as well as a 31 spline TruTrac. The best posi's I have ever used however are the gear type posi at this link.

They are a little pricey but they are awesome if you want a differential that always works seamlessly and handles power. I think that is the best posi made by far. I even put one in my Super Duty truck.

·
Formerly known as jbj302
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't dislike any posi unit for racing except 28 spline stock units. I've used everything from weak 28 spline Fords to 40 spline spools. You really have to pick something that fits your budget and abuse.

A 31 spline truck posi with restacked clutches will work about as well as a 31 spline TruTrac. The best posi's I have ever used however are the gear type posi at this link.

They are a little pricey but they are awesome if you want a differential that always works seamlessly and handles power. I think that is the best posi made by far. I even put one in my Super Duty truck.
Yes, very pricey, but good looking unit. Read some really good reviews about the Eaton unit as well

·
Registered
156 Posts
I recently went spool with 33 spline axles in my car. It's mostly track but I like to cruise it around some. It takes a little getting used to but I like the fact it's one less thing to worry about.

·
Formerly known as jbj302
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tore it down today and found its not even the rear end. Broke output shaft. TKO 3550

·
Formerly known as jbj302
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going to try and get it upgraded to a tko 600 input shaft and main shaft. Plus new syncronizers. Cheaper than buying a new tranny

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would look at that installation very closely. At least in the back end, just looking at the engagement of the slip yoke. Thats a pretty long rust line.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I would really look at your rear suspension too. I've seen two 3550 transmissions break in the same way yours did. One broke a lower control arm bracket, the other had a defective/broken axle tube. Either way, they both ended up wiping out the transmission. I would have never looked for this, Walt at Promotion helped me find the culprit.

·
Formerly known as jbj302
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would really look at your rear suspension too. I've seen two 3550 transmissions break in the same way yours did. One broke a lower control arm bracket, the other had a defective/broken axle tube. Either way, they both ended up wiping out the transmission. I would have never looked for this, Walt at Promotion helped me find the culprit.
Interesting, but need more detail. I actually talked with Walt today about the upgrade transmission parts.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Interesting, but need more detail. I actually talked with Walt today about the upgrade transmission parts.

If I remember correctly, when the axle tube breaks, or spins in the carrier housing, it allows uneven torque distribution and the pinion will get in a bad angle, (imagine the pinion pointing more towards the driver's side front tire instead of the output shaft of the transmission) that's when it will snap a 3550's tail. It's been 4years since I spoke with Walt about this, so hopefully my memory isn't fogged.

·
Formerly known as jbj302
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I remember correctly, when the axle tube breaks, or spins in the carrier housing, it allows uneven torque distribution and the pinion will get in a bad angle, (imagine the pinion pointing more towards the driver's side front tire instead of the output shaft of the transmission) that's when it will snap a 3550's tail. It's been 4years since I spoke with Walt about this, so hopefully my memory isn't fogged.
My axle tubes are welded, but I see where you're going with this

1 - 20 of 24 Posts