Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely love how my car rides with the MM coils upfront. It was by far the best mod that was done to the car thus far.

I’m wondering what people’s experiences are with rear coil over kits? Is it as noticeable of a difference like when you do the fronts?

How is tire clearance? Car has a 285 going in the back soon so I’m just wondering.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Love my coilovers, So easy to swap springs, adjustability is great, and its lighter than big conventional springs.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I once considered rear coilovers, but at the time had the stock 4-link with GW LCA's. I was under the impression you need a panhard bar for rear coilovers, to prevent sideways loads. Maybe the top shock mount of CO kits have been improved enough that this is no longer an issue?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Your front spring rate will dictate the use or not of coilovers out back.
On my street driven '86 I'm using 250lb front springs so I had no option but to use conventional springs with the T/A.

Wouldn't 350lb front springs be the minimum in order to run coilovers out back to get the proper balance front to rear(250lb rears)?

I had 300lb springs up front for one summer and the ride on the roads up here was a killer,went back to the 250's.I give you guys credit when running high spring rates on the street,in my younger years I would have done it but not any more.lol

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I've run the 300#C/Os on Bilstein HDs up front. Better ride than I had with the "C" springs. Frankly, ride quality improves by reducing rear bind caused by the UCA's rubber bushings. When one goes to a T/A, PM3L or Steeda 5-link, all that bind is removed. As a result, you have to run a higher rear rate. Typically, with a full C/O suspension rule of thumb is about 100# spring rate difference between the front and rear (more in front). This translates into nearly identical wheel rates with a slight bias to the rear. If using a C/O front and conventional rear springs, the above rule of thumb doesn't work. Here the wheel rate conversion must be made to get the correct rear rate. If you are still using the stock converging 4-link rear, the bind in the suspension adds wheel rate in bump - this is a progressive rate too leading to bind. This added rate has to be taken into consideration when going for a better ride. Otherwise, you are likely to over-spring and underdamp causing ride and handling issues.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With my soft 225 pound front coil overs, I can’t run rear coil overs anyways. I have HR springs in the rear now w/ a TA all from MM. looks like I’ll be keeping the set up I have now.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
With my soft 225 pound front coil overs, I can’t run rear coil overs anyways. I have HR springs in the rear now w/ a TA all from MM. looks like I’ll be keeping the set up I have now.

Which rear H&R springs are you running with the 225# fronts C/O's?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
94-95 GT specd ones.

Car rides freaking amazing.

Jack definitely steered me in the right direction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts