Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I am converting to '95 spindles and '01 rotors and calipers on the front of my '83GL, and '88 Turbo Coupe rotors and calipers with five lug axles at the rear. I'm going to Russell braided stainless lines at the same time. I bought the 693010 kit ('87-'93). It looks like the fronts will work fine (though I have yet to check the threading from the body hard lines). My problem is at the rear. The Russell rear line has a banjo-bolt type fitting at both ends. This looks fine on the axle end (hard line junction). However, my '83 has a threaded fitting at the body end. Does anyone know what this thread is? Is this a pre-'86 problem? Does anyone know if the rear hose in the Russell 693000 kit ('79-'86) has different fittings? I think that I can buy a custom hose from Russell if I know what the fitting is. I can't imagine that I can adapt from a banjo type fitting to a female thread (Russell's tech advice). So far their technical assistance person has not been terribly technical.

Thanks for the help!
Bman

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

MYOWNR said:
had a similar situation with my lines, will get back to u when i research what i did
Thanks, "MYOWNR." I'll look forward to your research.

Bman

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Bman83GL said:
My problem is at the rear. The Russell rear line has a banjo-bolt type fitting at both ends. This looks fine on the axle end (hard line junction). However, my '83 has a threaded fitting at the body end.
That's weird, as that's the opposite of my '89. It has a distribution block on the pumpkin which the line threads into (and then splits thru that block to the two hard lines running to each end of the axle housing), and at the body end it has a banjo fitting.

Max Motorsports makes a line that fits my car, and I'm assuming it would fit yours (you'd just have it "backwards").

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thanks for the info, Patrick. I may end up going this route.

Bman

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone else found a good, bolt-on solution to going with a SS braided rear hose on an '83? I contacted MM and they do not have a rear hose that matches this application (only '87+). I'm almost to the point where I figure that I will have to fabricate something. I'm thinking of a 6" hard line with a threaded female fitting to the existing hard line on the car, and a female banjo joint at the other end to accept the '87+ hose. I was really hoping that this would be a bolt on....

Thanks,
Bman

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi folks,

In case anyone ever references this, I found that the Goodridge brake hose kit #12314 ('80-'86 Mustang w/o dual exhaust) has a rear brake hose that is a perfect, bolt-on replacement. The "T" junction at the axle end is not as thick, but a few washers under the vent bolt take care of that.

Now I have a pair of new front hoses and a Russell rear hose that I don't need. I'll post them on the "for sale" page.

Thanks again for all the help,
Bman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts