Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a realistic dollar amount for building a street/strip C4? I have a 69' c4, going behind a turbo 302, with a max HP in the 525 area. I'm also wanting to do a transbrake for strip use. I'm currently running a tremec 3550. I'm basically in the dark with automatics. I know the basic mods, converter, servo, input shaft, planetary, valve body, clutch/rebuilt kit, and pedal swap. Just wondering the nickel and dime items.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Give PTC converters a call they built my c4 and were very reasonable
they wanted 1000 bucks to build a converter for my car when it was a C4. as soon as i said transbrake he said billet

so did everyone else for that matter. UCC wanted 1100... ATI was 1000... pats performance converters was 600

·
Registered
892 Posts
Your probably in the 3000 to 3500 range for a good setup. I have about 2300 in my trans and 1200 in converter ( 8" UCC ). But I built the trans myself so might have saved a little.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
You get what you pay for....

As soon a a cheap sprag or stator or one of the cheap thrust bearings fails, and takes out the entire converter AND transmission, the $100 you saved just got spend 5 times over. Been there done that. C4 too. And IIRC, turbocharged 5.0 but no transbrake.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
You get what you pay for....

As soon a a cheap sprag or stator or one of the cheap thrust bearings fails, and takes out the entire converter AND transmission, the $100 you saved just got spend 5 times over. Been there done that. C4 too. And IIRC, turbocharged 5.0 but no transbrake.

yea you do get what you pay for. and a lot of times you pay for a name on top of it

Pats does a lot of converters for guys you would never expect. he just doesnt have the big name like pro torque PTC UCC and those guys.

another no one ever really talks about that builds a killer converter is Cameron

·
Registered
253 Posts
Code:
yea you do get what you pay for. and a lot of times you pay for a name on top of it

Pats does a lot of converters for guys you would never expect. he just doesnt have the big name like pro torque PTC UCC and those guys.

another no one ever really talks about that builds a killer converter is Cameron
I agree. Fwiw a ton of people in my area all use pats including myself, and they do go fast lol.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Code:
I agree. Fwiw a ton of people in my area all use pats including myself, and they do go fast lol.
yup! steve has some converters in some bad ass cars!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
What is a realistic dollar amount for building a street/strip C4? I have a 69' c4, going behind a turbo 302, with a max HP in the 525 area. I'm also wanting to do a transbrake for strip use. I'm currently running a tremec 3550. I'm basically in the dark with automatics. I know the basic mods, converter, servo, input shaft, planetary, valve body, clutch/rebuilt kit, and pedal swap. Just wondering the nickel and dime items.
Add a reinforced forward drum (I ran a Dynamic unit in my c4), bell housing, alum pan, overflow tank, shifter and locking dipstick to that list of parts.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Maybe get the car going with the turbo setup and stick shift. Then tackle the trans swap later. That will keep you motivated and stretch the spending/aggravation over a longer period of time.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
yup... a well done C4 swap isnt cheap.
i did mine when it was still a stock T5 in the car and i needed to make up my mind between going C4 and a TKO600

now the C4 is gone and i have a glide for it lol

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Oh, add trans temp guage, crossmember, driveshaft spacer, DS slip yoke and cooler/lines/fittings too! LOL

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Did anyone ever wonder why you're "paying for a name"? What about service after the sale. Seen way too many little guys get a product and tell you to screw off after you buy it, because they're such a small operation that they can't afford to make it right if there's a problem....

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Old thread, but I'm looking into the c4 thing a little more. Does anyone have a list of what needs to be done? When all said and done is the only original part going to be the case itself? Will $1500 touch it, converter not included?

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
A PA supercomp c4 went 9.24 in my car with no reliability issues.

Tim

·
Registered
521 Posts
First, you'll want a 71 or newer c4 case or preferably a c5 case. List of parts to expect to need and approximate cost: sfi bell 425, deep pan 100, sfi shield 120, locking dipstick 50, hardened input shaft 100, reinforced forward drum 110, t-brake valve body 450, intermediate servo 110, good clutches and bands + rebuild kit 300ish, cooler and lines 250ish....that's close to $2K already plus stuff like shifter, possible driveshaft, upgraded planetary, any rollerized bearing work, etc.... many of those needed pieces can be found used for less $, but it might be better for you to pick up a whole setup "used" that may only need freshened up. Can often save a lot that way. Name brand converters can be found used also and they can be sent in to reputable builders to be set up for your combo for reasonable cost.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The C4 I have is a 69 model, should I find a different one?
In a word, yes. Through 69 they had a smaller diameter input shaft 24-24 spline, and a valve body unique through that year. 70 was a year in it''s own, larger diameter input 26-26 spline shaft. 71-81 are the best alternative as most aftermarket shafts are made to fit 71-81 models as well as most aftermarket valve bodys. Best choice will be a case fill version and 157 tooth bellhousing as it is a more compact, giving more tunnel room. Google c4 transmission differences, wealth of info out there.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Google c4 transmission differences, wealth of info out there.

Yup. Problem is, about half of what I've seen online in reference to C4's has been false, or at least partially false. Thus, just a simple google search will yield some info that may not help you as much as one would think.

There are a BUNCH of different C4's.

Best thing to do, if you're building your own, start with a C5 case, and use C4 guts and a C5 forward drum. I have creatively fit 6 clutches into a C5 fwd drum at one point, and the forward clutch seems to be a weak link on the C4/5. Similar story with the C5 hi/rev drum (ring machined higher, so you can get an extra clutch in it). C5 has a little better lube circuit and larger cooler fittings, better flow into/out of the converter. The C4's had a slew of different forward clutch drums, some had 3 clutches with 24 spline, some were 4 or 5 clutch and could be had either 24 or 26 spline. The pumps are different between 24 and 26 spline. Then there were case fill and pan fill transmissions. IIRC, the aussies call the pan fill units C10's so keep that in mind, and IIRC the panfill (aka C10) is supposedly a little stronger since there is no hole in the case for the dipstick-and the bellhousing bolts directly to the case instead of the pump. Bunch of differences throughout. And there's a way to find which ones were V8, BUT, you can't rely on that because the C4 is decades out of production and you don't know what kind of monkey has been into it and what they've done. If you're sourcing a C4, try to find one in a 250 inline 6 or any V8 application. Trucks are good but most truck C4's are C10's, and maybe a few C5's. C5's usually have a deeper pan.

That's all of the top of my head, and worth checking out-since I'm out of the C4 business, and have been for over 15 years. And check out the "c4 monster thread" at ford muscle forums-if it's still there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts