Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for tips or tricks to dialing in the adjustment in my adjustable Koni's. I don't have a race track at my disposal so I'm looking for tips or things you might have done yourself or heard others do to dial in their settings. Right now I am running adjustable Koni Sports and MM adjustable coil overs with 325 and 250 springs. I guess there is no way to say a specific setting is the best due to the variables between cars and setups, but I'm looking for a range that I can play in. It seems like I'm chasing my tail with trying to get this setup properly. I DD my car so getting a decent ride to and from work is important. Sometimes its hard for me to tell what end is oscillating too much.

BTW, I know some of the non-adjustable crowd :)cough: 2k2GT) will get a kick out of this. ;)

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Start at 3 turns away from full stiff and take it for a highway drive. Focus on the front first. Adjust the front stiffer til it no longer "floats" for a cycle or two after a bump. When it settles right down immediately after a bump, you've found your max-comfort, still-handles street setting. For corner carving you'd probably want more rebound.

If they're double-adjustables I wouldn't mess with the compression setting at all, unless you find the car bottoms easily on big dips.

IMHO the rears are harder to tune because it's harder to tell the difference between too much and too little rebound, but it has to do with the motion frequency. If it goes boing, boing, boing after bumps, make the rebound stiffer. If it does a higher-frequency boyoyoyoyoing then make them softer. How's that for technical? :rofl:

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Start at 3 turns away from full stiff and take it for a highway drive. Focus on the front first. Adjust the front stiffer til it no longer "floats" for a cycle or two after a bump. When it settles right down immediately after a bump, you've found your max-comfort, still-handles street setting. For corner carving you'd probably want more rebound.

If they're double-adjustables I wouldn't mess with the compression setting at all, unless you find the car bottoms easily on big dips.

IMHO the rears are harder to tune because it's harder to tell the difference between too much and too little rebound, but it has to do with the motion frequency. If it goes boing, boing, boing after bumps, make the rebound stiffer. If it does a higher-frequency boyoyoyoyoing then make them softer. How's that for technical? :rofl:
Youe description of the rear is pretty spot on. I find myself trying to figure out if I have too much or too little.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Knowing full sell he does not have DA's, this needs said. Compression damping is NOT spring rate, that's not it's use, and it's not meant to keep a car from bottoming. Springs support the car, compression damps unsprung weight, the car coming crashing down to the stops is sprung weight moving.

How do you adjust rebound? Easy, you set it where the car feels the best for you.... The more rebound you run, the quicker the car reacts at that end, the quicker it'll take a set, and generally the firmer it'll ride. The less damping the slower the response, the slower the car will settle down and take a set, and the faster it'll generate roll. If you can't tell what the car is doing and/or what changes the shocks make you are either misinterpreting what's happening dynamically, or not changing the damping enough.

There is no litmus test about what's right and what's wrong. Having adjustables gives you options, options that you simply do not have with non-adjustables. If you don't understand I'd say it's in part because of many of falicies you read on the web no matter how well intended. It's ironic that some folks are so hell bent on changes when they have a car full of other changes. I guess they just don't like having changes they can then use to fix a mistake. Is being blindly faithful to an idea better than learning how to do some tuning? And even if you don't use the adjustment, you have a defacto non-adjustable. In the case of Koni vs. Bilstein for similar price but with Koni's better warranty service (most of the time).

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you think 2 from soft on the front and 1.5 turns from soft in the rear is too much? From what I am running now, that is the next small increase. MM told me on the phone that I would probably be way near the upper limit of rebound adjustment with my current spring rate. I dunno. Then I see guys running 400# springs with the same shocks. Maybe they like to bounce?

·
Registered
284 Posts
How I set the rear Koni DA's on my car... 88 American Iron Mustang. (I've got MM non-adjustable Bilsteins on the front). Increase compression until the car tends to "skitter" on the bumps - the shock doesn't seem to be reacting fast enough to absorb the bumps. Once I found that point I backed off the compression setting just a bit. Back off more if the track is wet. For rebound, if the front tends to roll more than I like it, I increase the rebound resistance (firm it up) - this helps control the speed of the weight transfer from the L rear to the R front, or vice versa. This may or may not be correct, but it's how it was explained to me, and it seems to work...

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
How do the MM Bil's seem to be working for you? Any reason why the difference in damper front to rear?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seemed to work well on the ride home with 2 turns from soft up front and .5 turns from soft out back. 1.5 turns in the rear felt kinda painful. Well see how that goes.

I haven't really set my ride height properly yet either so I need to get the front higher and further away from the bumpstops. I'm sure that will improve the ride further :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
How do the MM Bil's seem to be working for you? Any reason why the difference in damper front to rear?

They (Bils) seem to work fine, I run 450lb coilovers on the front with the 4cyl swaybar. MM k-member and SN95 length LCA's. Rear is 325lb CO springs, rear swaybar is the EVM adjustable set on full soft of the softest bar in the package.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well right now I'm running two turns from soft in the front and half a turn from soft in the rear. We will see how that goes. Now that the front suspension is sitting a little higher, the ride seems to be much better. I was really limiting my travel I guess with the front so low. I'm near the top of the coilover sleeve and its still isnt that high, but then I guess the x2's are working like a drop spindle taking away some of that height.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
They (Bils) seem to work fine, I run 450lb coilovers on the front with the 4cyl swaybar. MM k-member and SN95 length LCA's. Rear is 325lb CO springs, rear swaybar is the EVM adjustable set on full soft of the softest bar in the package.
Thanks! :evilgrin:

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man this is frustrating. Contrary to what I've been told the car seems to "feel" better on the street with rebound set to almost full soft up front and set at full soft in the rear. I was under the impression that I would need most of my rebound adjustability to control these springs. Anything over full soft on the rear seems to make the rear end want to run like a pogo stick. :confused:

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah. I dunno. Seems to better the softer that I go at least with the rear shocks. Its a little bouncy at soft but even more so as rebound firmness increases.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I ran the Philly autox event yesterday with the same Koni SA's, which replaced the stock oem units. This is the only mod, so far, and when I changed just the rears, it made a noticeable difference in ride and control. The shocks/struts were left on full soft. At the event, I adjusted the fronts to 1 1/4 turn from soft and the rears a 3/4 turn. Tire pressures were 36f/31r. The understeer was the worse than stock, very John Deere like. Before the 2nd run, I backed the settings down 1/2 turn, but with similar results. I think I screwed up by not leaving them on full soft as a baseline. The ride home seemed weird on a short section of the NJ TPK, which isn't known for it's quality surface. Maybe it was me or the road, but the ride seemed to be "buggy like", mostly from the rear. I'm going back to full soft f/r before the next outing. :idunno:

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah. Sounds like you may be feeling something similar to me. Even konis literature seems to indicates that the ride quality will go down some. Mine just seems bouncy a lot and when I turn the firmness up, the ride gets more bumpy which is weird to me.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts