Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here. I currently have a 2006 evo. I love the feel of a turbo car. I owned a fox body car in the past and plan on soon purchasing another and possibly doing a diy turbo kit. I have a quick ?. A lot of single turbo mustang pics I see have the wastegate on the crossover pipe coming from the driverside header. How does this regulate the exhaust on the passenger side header which goes directly to the turbo. Im very sorry if this is a dumb ?. Maybe I am missing something. My friend bought a 91 with a custom turbo kit on the car and its the same way I would appreciate any explenation. I understand the theory of a turbo system except this

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey guys, new here. I currently have a 2006 evo. I love the feel of a turbo car. I owned a fox body car in the past and plan on soon purchasing another and possibly doing a diy turbo kit. I have a quick ?. A lot of single turbo mustang pics I see have the wastegate on the crossover pipe coming from the driverside header. How does this regulate the exhaust on the passenger side header which goes directly to the turbo. Im very sorry if this is a dumb ?. Maybe I am missing something. My friend bought a 91 with a custom turbo kit on the car and its the same way I would appreciate any explenation. I understand the theory of a turbo system except this
it shouldnt be that way but sadly it has become the standard in domestic v8 turbo kits. a gate should be placed in the exhaust path of each manifold for maximum efficiency. for the exhaust to have to accumulate away from the exhaust housing and then bleed off is not ideal. 4cyl have one wastegate b/c they have one manifold. my thought is to have one gate per header no matter what the configuration. finally someone that thinks the same way asi do

·
Registered
3,318 Posts

well you can just trade me, I will take that evo off your hands :) lol

It really dosent need to regulate exhaust evenly. so long as it regulates enough "around" the turbo as NOT spool it too much its doing its job.

it shouldnt be that way but sadly it has become the standard in domestic v8 turbo kits. a gate should be placed in the exhaust path of each manifold for maximum efficiency. for the exhaust to have to accumulate away from the exhaust housing and then bleed off is not ideal. 4cyl have one wastegate b/c they have one manifold. my thought is to have one gate per header no matter what the configuration. finally someone that thinks the same way asi do

SOME kits do a better job then others. On mine its pretty close to where they merge.

I see your point but not really.. lol I would THINK (there I go again lol) that so long as it bleeds off and does not spool the turbo its doing its job. Now on a car that has boost creep in higher gears/rpm where the gate is not working/setup properly it would fix that issue for sure.

I also wonder IF having 2 gates would slow spool due to having 2 gates hung 1/2 open at half boost?? I dont have a EBC to hold the gate closed until full boost so mine SLOWLY opens lol I THINK 2 slowly opening would be prolly be slower

I allways thought 4 cyls had 1 gate due to 1 turbo and thats why twins had 2.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts