Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for all the ?????s lately, but I have one more concerning drag radials and wheels.

I am about to order the following items:

(2) Weld Pro-star wheels from Jeg's (Summit is backordered)
15" x 8"
5.5" Backspacing
4.5" Bolt circle
5 lug

(2) BFGoodrich Drag Radials from TireRack
P275/50R15

**** Please let me know if you think this is a good combination, or if I should buy it somewhere else. ****

Also, do I need lug nuts or can I use the stock ones? When mounting, should I get them balanced if possible?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I was once told, when I asked about getting the exact same setup, that I needed 4.5 backspacing, but whoever told me that could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Those are the exact correct sizes for tires and wheel. Yes...balance the tires. I've never owned the Welds, but you will need new lug nuts designed for that wheel. It's a different type than stock. Get those when you order the wheels. I have some 15X8's with the 275 BFG's. They work good. That will be a nice tire/wheel set up. Enjoy!

·
Registered
636 Posts
nomore4bangers said:
Sorry for all the ?????s lately, but I have one more concerning drag radials and wheels.

I am about to order the following items:

(2) Weld Pro-star wheels from Jeg's (Summit is backordered)
15" x 8"
5.5" Backspacing
4.5" Bolt circle
5 lug

(2) BFGoodrich Drag Radials from TireRack
P275/50R15

**** Please let me know if you think this is a good combination, or if I should buy it somewhere else. ****

Also, do I need lug nuts or can I use the stock ones? When mounting, should I get them balanced if possible?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
What Ralph said, only twice. You will need the Weld lug nuts, they won't work with factory acorn-style lug nuts.

Just curious, do you want the looks of the welds or are you just stuck to find a good wheel? I'm pretty happy with my Bart Economy Modifieds (lightweight steel) and they were only $39/each.

Either way, good choices!! You will love the way they work at the track.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2001True Blue GT:

Hey, I could care less about how it looks! I just figured to go with the Welds because they are so light but they are kinda expensive.

Are those 'bart' wheels as light as the Welds? Are they pretty close? Can I use the factory lug nuts? Where can I get them?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

·
Registered
636 Posts
nomore4bangers said:
2001True Blue GT:

Hey, I could care less about how it looks! I just figured to go with the Welds because they are so light but they are kinda expensive.

Are those 'bart' wheels as light as the Welds? Are they pretty close? Can I use the factory lug nuts? Where can I get them?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
I got mine from Summit. They're 15x8 with a 5" backspacing. You do have to buy 45 degree seat 1/2" fine thread lug nuts, also available from Summit, because the wheels are design for circle track cars and the factory lug nuts don't fit very well. The lug nuts are only about $6 for 5, or $10-12 for both wheels. The Bart wheels weigh between 19-22 lbs each, not bad for steel. I like 'em.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the same combo only with Weld Draglites. The 5 1/2" BS is PERFECT. Yes you need lugnuts. You'll have to buy 12. My tires are balanced.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks... I just ordered the Welds and lugs from Jeg's...

Weld Racing Pro Star 96-Series Wheel - 15 x 8; 5.5''RS; 4.5''BC
Item # 927-96-58210 $ 150.99 $ 301.98

Weld Racing Lug Nuts - 1/2'' RH Closed End Nuts w/Centered Washer 4/Pkg.
Item # 927-601-1416 $ 9.99 $ 29.97

Does this look right?? I got 3 packs of the 1/2" closed nuts, not the open ones.

Jeff

·
Registered
495 Posts
Jeff.

I had to order my 275/50/15 BFGs from Jegs. Summit was on backorder and Tirerack's website said the same but I did not call to check, this was Friday. Jegs matched Summit's price for me.

I was going to get cheap steel wheels ( AR 767 ? ) but they were out of stock at both places, ended up getting centerline telstars.

Good luck.

Jason.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
nomore4bangers said:
Thanks... I just ordered the Welds and lugs from Jeg's...

Weld Racing Pro Star 96-Series Wheel - 15 x 8; 5.5''RS; 4.5''BC
Item # 927-96-58210 $ 150.99 $ 301.98

Weld Racing Lug Nuts - 1/2'' RH Closed End Nuts w/Centered Washer 4/Pkg.
Item # 927-601-1416 $ 9.99 $ 29.97

Does this look right?? I got 3 packs of the 1/2" closed nuts, not the open ones.

Jeff
Closed end nuts? is this right? dont you need open end nuts for the 3" studs for 2 piece rim tech rule.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no idea about the closed vs. open lug nuts. Can anyone answer this question??

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
LByellowStang said:
I was once told, when I asked about getting the exact same setup, that I needed 4.5 backspacing, but whoever told me that could be wrong.
I have 4.5 backspaced pro stars on my car now and they will rub with a 275/50/15 DR so I would not recommend them. I use a 5.5 backspaced rim for my slicks.

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts