Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while when I'm taking off in first and second, I get a rattling sound from the tranny. The best way to describe it would be that it sounds like a metal on metal loose bolt sound. I have a 5 speed, and the only time I hear it is when I take off normally and then shift into second at fairly low RPM (2-2.5K) If I launch hard and shift agressively, no rattle. Any ideas?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've had the same (sort of) issue with mine. I'ts almost like a vibrating sound. Shifting normally with the revs at 2k or so makes it more noticeable. I don't think you can hear it reving hard, cause of the increased noise of the motor. I can't hear mine over the blower and only noticed it when I was running stock while the ATI was being rebuilt. I also noticed more gear noise at idle as well. I replaced the fluid with Mobile 1 synth ATF and no change.
My shifts are still ok, maybe a little hard, but no grinding to this point.
I'm pushing 10punds of boost through mine and an even still on the stock clutch.I was thinking I had begun to hear the damage 390 pounds of torque causes.
I'm interested in opinions as well. Soooooo.

TTT

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have it too. I see you guys also have a Steeda Tri-ax shifter. I didn't have the noise until I installed mine. I think it's pretty normal to get a lot of tranny noise at low rpms with these shifters, but don't take my word on it. Maybe someone else can explain it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that you mention it, the noise did start after I installed the Tri-Ax. I wonder if I should try switching back to the stock shifter to see if it goes away? Funny thing is, the tranny shifts fine and has no other issues. Maybe it's just normal "drive train noise":)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I have had that noise for over two years and quit worrying about it. I have had a Tri-ax for nearly as long as the car. My trans is fine.
Joe

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've got that chatter, too. Here's what you do...when you're taking off at a normal pace, turn up the stereo...It works wonders! :D
Seriously, its like this for me...I worry about carrying my car in for something like this for fear that it will be worse or get worse after the service techs get into it.

Enjoy your car, overlook its little quirks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Traveler said:
Enjoy your car, overlook its little quirks.
Here, here!

As someone who's owned three Mustangs with T-45's, I can tell you that it's a very noisy transmission. The local Ford dealer replaced the T-45 in my '98 Cobra, thinking that the noise meant it was broken. The brand new one was every bit as noisy, maybe even more so.

So, it's normal, and you can probably ignore it safely. I've had to learn to overlook many a rattle/squeak/clunk/etc in my Mustang history, so I'm used to it :).

·
Registered
556 Posts
The Tremec is also a bit 'rattly' when cold especially. Remember, this ain't a Honda, these are real transmission designed to take lots of power. They aren't going to be completely quiet!

Jeff

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ok, as far as all the advice on the "noisy" TriAx, yas I agree. I actually got used to it and kind of liked it. My situation is a little different since I've started to see some degridation in shift "smoothness" My shifting requires a little more effort now. I've been careful not to overly abuse my poor little T-45 (no power shifting, and no missed gears) but the torque I'm putting to it is beyond the rated capacity. My noise is not a shifter. It is very very evident when cold and improves once warmed. In my case, I'll run it normally till I can't get it into a gear. Then I'll go with a 3550, TKO or best a T-56.
I'm more interested in guys with noises that they've decided is NOT the shifter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts