Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 98 Vobra. Haven't done anything new to my car lately. However, recently is has started missing on a cylinder. One minute I'm driving around town, and everything is perfect, the next minute I'm running on seven cylinders. Five minutes later I'm running on all cylinders again.

This used to happen about once a month, and for only about a minute, then everything would go back to normal. Today it did it three times though, and one of the times it lasted for about 15 minutes.

It's driving me crazy. Things worthy of noting, I have the MSD Dis-4 and a 80mm Pro-M.

Can't really be the plugs, cause you'd figure if one was fouled, it would stay fouled. I've got the MSD plug wires and it doesn't look like they're shorting on anything. Only thing I can think of is that maybe it's one of the coils? Or maybe the MSD is gettin wiggy on me?

Any help would be appreciated!
-Chris

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have this happening to me and it is making me go crazy...i thought it was the coils too and no one around me has a clue about newer style mustangs so i got new coils from performance distibuters and it seems to help out but every once in a while it'll do it again...so i am still trying to figure this out. and i don't think it is the msd cause it had happened to me before i put the msd on...so let me know if you have any ideas.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bah. :( not good.

Well, if no one can point me in a direction by the time I leave for work tomorrow, I'll buy some new coils, plugs and wires and see if it goes away. Also thought about bypassing the MSD to see if it helps, but it'll be a pain because you have to unplug the tach adaptors to do it. Plus, if it was happening to you before the MSD...

I suppose that worse case it continues to get worse, until the car doesn't ever run correctly. Then I can take it a dealership and take it up the yin-yang for them to fix it.

Anyhow, thanks for the input. There is a little relief knowing that I'm not the only one who has this problem. Hopefully someone else has already conquered this beast and can help us out. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
vobra?

does this mean you have a vortech on your cobra?if so do you have an air/fuel gauge?can you list all of your mods for me...i think it runs this way because it's loading up or running rich...what do you think???i was thinking about getting an A/F gauge and if i'm running rich then i could go from there to fix the problem...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I have a Vortech. Seems weird that it would be the air/fuel ratio though. I just had a chip burned/tuned about a month ago. This problem existed before then, as it does now.

I'd really like to blame the coils, or the MassAirMeter. I have a lightning MAF on order now and plan to replace the Pro-M anyhow.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i'm pretty sure if it was a coil pack it would happen all the time ,besides that's what i thought it was and i replaced them and i still have the problem(i was gonna any how you know more spark and all)... do you have and off road pipe? maybe the egr is bad or the pcv valve?let me know if you get any ideas, thx

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen and it was a bad (intermittent) channel in the DIS-4. I sent it back to MSD and they replaced it with a new unit. Before sending it back in, make sure that none of the bullet connectors in the MSD harness have broken free from the associated wire. These connectors have poor strain releif and are known to have the connection at the wire break. I was told by the MSD tech that a bad (intermittent) connection at one of the bullet connectors will cause the same symptoms.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had this same thing happen on my car for quite some time. It could be one of several things. The best way to check and make sure it is the ignition is by pulling the coil wires when the car is running, be careful not to get shocked :eek: Mine would quit firing 2 cylinders and would act the way you guys are dexcribing. After researching it and talking to Ford and MSD, it could be caused by one of several things. A bad coil (common problem) and bad signal or feed wire connection from the MSD/coil. Last but not least is a bad channel in the MSD. What I did to cure mine was replace all the wire connecters on the side that was giving me fault. So far I have had no more problems. Hope this info helps!

Chad

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well let me chime in with my experience.

I also have had the very same problem. Just recently as a matter of fact. The last time before this most recent time I had this problem was last fall. I also had a code that time. Most times I don't when it happens. The code was for IMRC's. I got to thinkin' and decided to do a massive intake cleaning with the BG cleaning setup we have at the shop. I figured at the time that the suckers may have gotten gummed up kinda like a throttlebody will after many miles. My car stays below 3250 rpms for most of the week. It rarely will see over that during winter. Anyway, I cleaned the intake with the BG induction setup and problem was gone all winter until about a week ago. I cleaned it all up again last saturday and haven't had a problem since.

My vote is for IMRCs

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hmm, don't really see how the IMRC's could cause that problem. Interesting though. I know it they weren't my problem though because I deleted mine.

Chad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts