Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so it's not mustang related but wanted to see what everyone thought. it's pretty self explanatory but my wife's mother ran her Hummer low on oil to the point where i had to add 4 quarts to it yesterday. (it holds 6) so it was 4 quarts low and the engine sounds awful. It wont stay running at idle and as soon as you take your foot off the gas to keep it running it just quits its like the snap of your fingers. there's no bogging down and then dying. it's like spinning a bicycle tire off the ground and then grabbing the brakes that's how fast it shuts off. I'm pretty sure the engine is done it shakes like hell and has knocking coming from the bottom end.. Kind of a pointless thread i know but she's devastated and i'm trying to see if anything else would cause this. What do you guys think, time for a new engine? By the way its a 2006 Hummer with 120k miles with the I5 motor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
LOL , women and maintenance. Show me a divorced woman and I will show you a low maintained man... Some things you just got to do.... Some acts are cheaper than the outcome..

·
Please call me Mike
1,567 Posts
It ran like this before adding the oil? Just for kicks and grins check the air filter. Maybe it's completely plugged, chances are it's not and their is something else.

You haven't been told how long it was low and different engines do different things when ran low on oil.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Is there a low oil level warning indicator/light on that vehicle?

I'm thinking there should be,hell even my 89 Mustang has one.

Most women and some useless men don't even look under the hood.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some of the earlier inline 5's had some head problems that the valve seats would fail prematurely
Yeah I read about that not sure if this one has that problem

Is there a low oil level warning indicator/light on that vehicle?

I'm thinking there should be,hell even my 89 Mustang has one.

Most women and some useless men don't even look under the hood.
It's supposed to but yeah it never came on so she says.

But anyways turned out the engine had a misfire on one of the cylinders so after that's fixed we'll see if there is any more damage to the engine. Running on 2 quarts of oil had to have damaged something..

·
Registered
989 Posts
LOL , women and maintenance. Show me a divorced woman and I will show you a low maintained man... Some things you just got to do.... Some acts are cheaper than the outcome..
get used to it. all the german car companies are saying 15,000 mile oil changes. dumbest thing ever, but hey, it's great for machine shop business!

·
Registered
270 Posts
You cant rely on low oil level lights. I straddled an object in the middle of the road one night, and ended up with a hole in the oil pan the size of my fist. This was in my 2005 Saturn Ion. I was suprised that it drove for 20 miles afterwards before it locked up. Instead of taking the time to check out if it damaged anything, I spent more time putting in an 06 Cobalt engine after swapping a few parts out.

·
Registered
35,057 Posts
4 qts. low out of 6 means one of two things -- 1) it ran for one helluva long time without the hood ever being opened, let alone any service taking place; or (perhaps AND) 2) it was in absolutely terrible shape to start with leaking/consuming that much over a short period of time.

Going back to the first new car I purchased (1978 Rabbit) -- probably 15-20 new cars (and a couple of used cars) between my wife and I over the years with anywhere from 60k-120k put on them and I've never had any of them use enough oil between regular changes to require adding anything. Something was quite wrong with that vehicle long before she ran it (almost) out of oil.

The sad truth is that the majority of folks just seem to drive until something breaks and then blame it on their POS car.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
4 qts. low out of 6 means one of two things -- 1) it ran for one helluva long time without the hood ever being opened, let alone any service taking place; or (perhaps AND) 2) it was in absolutely terrible shape to start with leaking/consuming that much over a short period of time.

Going back to the first new car I purchased (1978 Rabbit) -- probably 15-20 new cars (and a couple of used cars) between my wife and I over the years with anywhere from 60k-120k put on them and I've never had any of them use enough oil between regular changes to require adding anything. Something was quite wrong with that vehicle long before she ran it (almost) out of oil.

The sad truth is that the majority of folks just seem to drive until something breaks and then blame it on their POS car.
Some late 80's 5.0 Mustang engines were serious oil burners from the factory due to Ford using low tension oil rings.

My engine was rebuilt under warranty because of this.

I spoke to some other 5.0 fox Mustang owners back in the day and they complained their cars were burning oil big time.

·
Registered
35,057 Posts
I understand -- my story wasn't to indicate it doesn't ever happen; just to indicate that there was something seriously wrong with the Hummer....just as there was something seriously wrong with your new Stang. Apparently you got one with no tension rings.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
My coworker had one of those as well, used oil. He considered it normal. Funny part was that he KNEW it used oil but continued to run it 15k miles between oil changes. Also keep in mind that he's a "mobil 1" user, and sticks tight to the 15k mile oil change interval. AND he's a "tech" at work, so you'd think he'd know something about engines and the like. One afternoon he's on his way to work and the truck stops running. He calls me and says he won't be in. I called him the next day to find out if he's coming to work or not, says he'll be in as soon as he can, he'll have to drive his old mud truck as the hummer's little engine was dead (knocking/rattling/won't stay running). He pulled the motor and found rod bearings stacked. I think the original plan was to fix it, but he ended up throwing a set of new bearings (on a smoked crank) in it and traded it off for a 2013 Silverado 2wd-which he LIFTED and put 35's on it. 5.3. What is the best part is that as soon as he got it, he changed oil and dumped in 6 quarts of mobil 1, then drove it. Couple months later he shows up at work and asks me what the noise is....exact same deal, no oil on the stick. Those AFM 5.3's are known for oil usage. Traded that truck off and got a '14, still uses oil (AFM 4.3 V6), totalled it and now has a '12 Z71 with the same 5.3 AFM engine. I guess he ain't learn't yet. :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
My coworker had one of those as well, used oil. He considered it normal. Funny part was that he KNEW it used oil but continued to run it 15k miles between oil changes. Also keep in mind that he's a "mobil 1" user, and sticks tight to the 15k mile oil change interval. AND he's a "tech" at work, so you'd think he'd know something about engines and the like. One afternoon he's on his way to work and the truck stops running. He calls me and says he won't be in. I called him the next day to find out if he's coming to work or not, says he'll be in as soon as he can, he'll have to drive his old mud truck as the hummer's little engine was dead (knocking/rattling/won't stay running). He pulled the motor and found rod bearings stacked. I think the original plan was to fix it, but he ended up throwing a set of new bearings (on a smoked crank) in it and traded it off for a 2013 Silverado 2wd-which he LIFTED and put 35's on it. 5.3. What is the best part is that as soon as he got it, he changed oil and dumped in 6 quarts of mobil 1, then drove it. Couple months later he shows up at work and asks me what the noise is....exact same deal, no oil on the stick. Those AFM 5.3's are known for oil usage. Traded that truck off and got a '14, still uses oil (AFM 4.3 V6), totalled it and now has a '12 Z71 with the same 5.3 AFM engine. I guess he ain't learn't yet. :)
I know how that feels. It's gotten so bad I was able to make a compilation...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9AnP_szkjY

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I just remembered seeing a story on the news some months ago where people were complaining that their new/newer high end cars were burning oil.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Running on 2 quarts of oil had to have damaged something..
Probably, but there's a remote chance not. The oil pickup would need to be uncovered for damage to occur. You'd have to figure there's no less than 1 quart of oil "in use" at all times, so that leaves 1 quart at most in the sump. Depending on sump design....maybe. On an I5 though that's probably all wishful thinking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts