Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm trying to tighten up my steering a little bit. I replaced the outer tie rods that helped quite a bit with the loose steering wheel feel.

I'm going between mm aluminum bushings and prothane ones.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I replaced them with PU types along with the front and rear Control Arms, Sway Bar Links, Motor Mounts.. The car rides plenty hard as it is. Remember that any bushing helps to isolate road noise and vibration from the Driver. Unless you are building a Race Car, I would stay away from anything solid.

But the car handles pretty sharp for an old ass car.. When I park it and get into my Explorer, it feels like I'm riding in luxury because of how soft the ride is in comparison.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If I remember correctly when researching this a few months ago, you can run the risk of "power steering chatter" with metal bushings. They do firm things up but NVH will increase.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
If you have the stock steering shaft with old rag joint, ditch that for the MM shaft. I run that with poly bushings and my steering slop is gone.

An SN95 rack conversion wouldn’t hurt either

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'll get poly urethane ones. I believe my car already has a mm steering shaft.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you have the stock steering shaft with old rag joint, ditch that for the MM shaft. I run that with poly bushings and my steering slop is gone.

An SN95 rack conversion wouldn’t hurt either
I did the SN95 conversion when I replaced my rack and used the MM hybrid shaft. Well worth it to me, steering is way better.
I used urethane bushings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts