Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share this with anyone considering buying a new helmet for next year. Saferacer.com is clearing out all their GForce Snell SA2000 helmets at a 20% discount and free shipping on orders over $100. To take advantage of this discount, simply place your order and enter the discount code cwj2005 in the order form.

I am in no way connected with Saferacer or GForce but just wanted to pass on an opportunity to my fellow racers to save some green on a helmet purchase.

Merry Christmas, or to be politically correct, Happy Holidays!

·
Corral Day Kittah
16,060 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KC LX said:
http://corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=527495

When will this change to 2005 for OT/Autox?
SCCA Solo II rules require a helmet to meet either current or immediately preceding 2 Snell Foundation standards. Since the current standard is Snell 2005, an M95, SA95, M00 or SA00 helmet is acceptable. Starting in January 2006 any M90 or SA90 will no longer be acceptable.

With OT or HPDE each promoting organization has different rule sets so you will have to verify safety requirements for each one.

Example 1: SVTOA (a group I instruct for) currently requires a Snell SA95 or better for all OT events, M rated are not acceptable. SVTOA will be changing the requirement to SA2000 or better starting in January 2007.

Example 2:The Florida Crown Region PCA currently requires M95 or better for thier driving events.

So you can see that you really need to check with each promoter to determine what equipment is needed.

SVTOA autocross helmet requirements are the same as SCCA, Snell M95 or better.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
huesmann said:
Looks like everyone is just blowing out the SA2000s to make room for SA2005s.

EXACTLY. Why buy a 5 year old helmet? Actually the helmet mght be manufactured more recently, but the SA-rating says its already 5 years old. At tech, they only allow 10 years, yours already used up 5.

[insert spam disclaimer here...]

http://www.dariusrudis.com

Let me know if I can help with your order or just answer some questions.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
What is the functional difference between 2000 and 2005 ratings, anyway? And why weren't those increments in the rating included to begin with? I have no idea what the standards are, but if it's something like pressure, why spec 200 psi for SA2000 and 220 psi for SA2005 when you could just have spec'ed 220 psi for SA2000 to begin with? (Just pulling numbers out of you-know-where.)

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
drudis said:
EXACTLY. Why buy a 5 year old helmet?
Maybe because they can get a great deal and save some money?
Actually the helmet mght be manufactured more recently,
True, maybe as recently as only a few months ago.
but the SA-rating says its already 5 years old. At tech, they only allow 10 years, yours already used up 5.
SCCA Solo II requires that the helmet is current Snell standard or no older than the immediately preceding 2 Snell Foundation standards. In theory one could use a helmet for almost 15 years. Fact is though, a majority of racers replace them within 3-5 years anyway.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The thing with the SA rating is SA2000 are still good for 5 more years.
If you get a helmet at a good price isn't it nice to be able to replace it every couple years any way. With general use they always get a little banged up and scratched. If your paying $300 or less why not just get a new one every couple years. Plus then you can save your old one as a loner for giving people rides at open track events. There's always some one looking for a helmet to borrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts