Ford Mustang Forums banner

Racing Clutch/Transmission ?

701 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bonestok86 
#1 ·
Just looking for suggestions and info on what you guys are running for a clutch set up as well as a transmission. I have an 86 GT that I will be running in Stock Eliminator so I am limited to the stock type diafraghm clutch and pressure plate. I also must use a T5 stock type transmission. The engine is a blueprinted 86 HO 5.0, venolia .040 pistons, zero deck short block, stock rods, stock crank, stock e6 heads unported, custom comp hydraulic roller with the factory lift specs but considerably more duration and lsa. I would like to launch the car around 5k and I am not worried about street manners... although I do take the occasional cruise to a show and what not. After looking around on the corral and some other sites i have come up with a short list of what I would consider running... here it is

Clutch
1. Centerforce dual friction
2. zoom race clutch kit
3. Ford King Cobra

Trans
1. Face plated T5 from liberty gears
2. G Force t5 from Hanlon Transmissions
3. TKO 600, also faceplated from liberty

So thats it... any suggestions comments would be great. Bear in mind this will be for racing 90% of the time so street manners is not that much of a concern... also HP and tourque numbers are in the high 290's to low 300's

Thanks Guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
are you running nhra-ihra stock, or is this a local stock eliminator class, because in nhra-ihra you can run any clutch and clutch assisted tranny

#5 ·
For an IHRA/NHRA stocker with a stick, you really need to at least talk to Rob Youngblood at Advanced Clutches.

www(dot)advancedclutches(dot)com

So many class stick racers have wished they would have coughed up the dollars for one of these clutches rather than waste their money on off the shelf stuff that was not only slower, but broke parts.

This stuff is pricey, but it is the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.