Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to pull the trigger and make a rear hatch lexan glass piece to go on my fiberglass hatch, and im also looking into replacing quarter windows with lexan, Im currently looking at home depot's website they have a 48x96 1/8 inch sheet for 186 bucks. That could work for quarter windows but isnt big enough for hatch. What do you suggest? should i just buy the already made quarter windows and hatch window lexan pieces that companies sell or is it more cost effective to make my own?

The windshield if i ever do ill let a pro do, because that looks like a nightmare but quarter windows and a hatch should be easy.

Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I bought a sheet of uncoated from Grainger to do my LMSC. I marred it some towing the car with a tarp over it but it would have been fine if I had an enclosed trailer. I was able to buff most of the scuffs out from the tarp. After that I just pulled a tarp over the interior instead of covering the car.

The original coated 5star windshield had the coating flaking and you couldn't see out of it so I don't know that buying the coated stuff is worth it. Was getting little silver flakes all over the dash. Sun damage I guess or age. I have no idea how old that windshield was.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I did more research and I found that Harwood makes polycarbonate windows for foxes for very cheap, 109 for quarter windows and 150 for hatch so I pulled the trigger and ordered all three, I weighed the quarter windows sadly they only weigh 6.2lbs each, I was hoping they weighed closer to 15 lbs each. Whatever A few more lbs shed on useless windows, Ill be porting the rear glass two rows of vertical holes and a horizontal row as well, this will relieve pressure inside the cabin along with my ported license plate area in the rear.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Is there any real or measured benefit to porting or drilling large holes in the rear poly or lexan windows? Understanding is that with no side windows a low pressure area pulls air from the cockpit rather than into it. Think of a piece of paper on the passenger seat blowing out the side window at speed.
We have Five Star Bodies polycarbonate rear window for our Cobra.
1994-2004 Mustang Rear Windows by Five Star Race Car Bodies

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any real or measured benefit to porting or drilling large holes in the rear poly or lexan windows? Understanding is that with no side windows a low pressure area pulls air from the cockpit rather than into it. Think of a piece of paper on the passenger seat blowing out the side window at speed.
We have Five Star Bodies polycarbonate rear window for our Cobra.
1994-2004 Mustang Rear Windows by Five Star Race Car Bodies

Interesting, Ill look more into this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts