Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If some of you guys running 1994/1995 cars could please post your race weights I'd appreciate it. I'd like to make a bid in NMRA factory stock and I've been searching for a shell for a few months, a Fox is the obvious choice but SN95s just look so good pulling the wheels.

The class requires iron heads (E7 or GT40), you can use big&littles and ditch a/c heat but you must have full upholstered interior, 2 seats, stock dash, stock K member, no coilovers, etc.

Base weight for a 5.0 in the class is 3050.
100 less if I use an AOD.
50 less if I use E7 heads.

From what little I know, less weight is more important than more power. Same result, but less wear and tear, less money into big HP parts. I don't think E7 heads for 50 lbs. is a good trade off, but I may jump on the AOD for 100lbs, just to make the car consistent.

That is, if I can even make the 3050 weight in the first place, let alone 100lbs less.

(There are very few guys running modulars in the class, and I would not mind running a 2V or a 4V and going for 3000 or 3300 respectively, but, as I found with my 98 Cobra, there goes the cost exponentially...)

I don't expect to go from building a car to being competitive in my first year, but if I could get out to two or three events and have one guy haze the tires and shut it down and turn on the win light just once that would be a win enough. I picked this class just for the fun of getting into heads-up racing. SN95s (clean ones) seem to be a LOT easier to find, but the 94/95 specific parts are going to eat up more cost in the long run. You can swap some stuff back to Fox, but some stuff is always going to cost more (like longtubes).

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Mine has had some weight reduction and weighs 2960 with driver and 2780 without.

·
Registered
277 Posts
yes please tell us how did you get the car that light.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I am also interested in the sn-95 weight reduction tips

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Stock K-member & A-arms, bumper bars, rear seat delete, lightweight wheels -- these are the big ones.

Otherwise: miscellaneous brackets and hardware not required, fuel tank replaced with cell, Kirkey seat, spare tire & jack, pinion weight, sway bars, etc.

·
Registered
325 Posts
mine weighed 3660 with me in it. still have a CM k-member & A-arms to put in along with a fuel cell and lighter wheels. i'm maintaining the complete interior for now and with that in i'd be happy to stage at 3300

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all the weight reduction tips, but guys there are threads specifically for that. My concern is getting within weight according to class rules.

K members are illegal
coilovers are illegal
factory dash, headliner, and factory appearing doorpanels must be present - all floors must be carpeted

I emailed as to what other interior panels, but that is the easy stuff. I mean tricks like pulling up the carpet and dry-icing all the sound deadening off. Dropping weight within the rules. A/C and heater I can ditch, I need to look into bumper supports. SMOG/EGR all that would be gone. GT40 aluminum heads are an easy choice.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Now, if we are unlimited in the types of mods, like Open Comp, how much more weight can we lose? Where and how?

Like posted before, I am in the 2800lb range without driver, would to at 2800 with driver.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well what type of suspension are we talking? back half car/tube frame? I mean, how much stock frame do you really want to keep? I'm sure the top fuel guys have their "mustang" down in the 2000lbs range easily.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I make tubular bumpers for these cars....the SN's are a lighter bumper to start with, but overall, you would loose about 15lbs on the front and about 12lbs on the rear. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Just wondering

·
Registered
696 Posts
good point. The way my setup is up front, the support will not fit. I have twin turbos in the grille and a slanted radiator which fits tucked inside the bumper. I guess thats a support.

The rear would be great to do. I would have to get something with a parachute mount.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Here is what I make for the fronts....sn-95 car

Here is what I make for Fox Bodies, I also make some for frame mounts/weld in's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts