Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a search on race car wiring and didn't come up with anything really helpful. Anyways, I'm building an 81 Coupe into a C Prepared car with a carbed 302. It's not meant to be a "Nationals" level car, mostly local and move into divisionals. So I'm still gonna have headlights and taillights for now. Distant future mods include electric fan and electric water pump, and possibly removal of the lights.

As far as harnesses go, my only (and little) experience is with FI Hondas. Most of the Honda guys run MIL spec wiring and connectors.

I'd like to see pictures of different wiring systems in your race prepped Mustangs. I'd also like to know what I would need in the engine compartment. Off the top of my head, I can think of Ignition, Starter, Alt, lights...

I'd like to think that this thread would be a great reference thread, so any pictures, diagrams, and such would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
A lot of it depends on whether you're going to use the stock dash for the gauges and switches. I think it's more straightforward if you go full custom.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Custom dash.

I just don't want a hillbilly butt connector job. Do people use the MIL Spec wires and connectors?

I got a PM saying Maier and Stagnaro are gonna be at the Packwood NT, and I have a couple club members going, so I asked a buddy of mine to try and get pictures if he can.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
579 Posts
I used a Painless wiring 8 circuit race car kit. It is a very nice piece and comes with a fuseblock, relays and OEM quality wire pre attached to the fuseblock.

I used a Quickcar prewired switch panel, but any brand would work.

You really don't need that many circuits for a race car. I would definitely remove every single OEM wire and start over. If you need disconnects, I have always used weatherpack connectors.

If you add an electric fan and/or WP, you most likely want the option to run those seperate of the ignition, so leave a circuit/switch free for that.

I think MilSpec stuff is overkill and borderline ricer. You can see the quality difference though between the OEM wire that comes with the Painless kit and the crap you buy at the parts store.

My harness was in good enough shape after 4 seasons in my old CP car that I moved it, wholesale, to the new car.

HTH,

DaveW

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that tip. I'll look into it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts