Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in MM instructions they say the K-member has to be modified by trimming the inner mounting ears for the FCA such that there is 1.25" between the center of the mounting hole and the edge of the mount ear.

So because I'm an idiot and used a sawzall when trimming the ears, one of the ears ended up being 7/8 of an inch, all of the others were 1.25"-1.5". My question is, how worried should I be about this? Should I take the car to a fabricator so they can weld on a piece of metal to make it 1.25"?

I'm also not very happy about my cuts as they are straight up and down rather than being curved, is this also a concern? do to the fact that stress cracks can develop at the corners between the cuts?

I can post a pic sometime this week to explain better if this doesn't make any sense...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Not sure how worried you need to be about the lack of material. Sunday I did cut my k-member also, I ended up using a cutoff wheel on a grinder though. I was really happy how clean it turned out, unless you look very close you could never tell it was cut.

·
Registered
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how worried you need to be about the lack of material. Sunday I did cut my k-member also, I ended up using a cutoff wheel on a grinder though. I was really happy how clean it turned out, unless you look very close you could never tell it was cut.
Yeah that was probably a good idea. Oh well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about trimming too much, but I would be about not trimming enough. You have to trim the kmember so that the FCA's do not bottom out on the kmember before the strut does on the bump stops. Keep trimming it until the FCA pivots with out interference and that it has plenty of travel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts