Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Muskegon MI, All the junkyards around here have Merkurs in them. Anyone know what turbos were used on them? It seems that no one wants turbo ford parts around here. If anyone needs any and they live around Muskegon get ahold of me. I know where at least 6 complete engines are sitting.

Paul

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yep, they are garrett TB0344's. Take notice that the auto and manual tranny versions (if Merkur's had em) have different exhaust housings. The manual's got the larger .63 turbine housings while the auto's received the smaller .48 housings. Both will great (and can easily be swapped out for each-other). The .48 housings will fizzle out north of 5k rpm on a 302…which isn’t too bad of a match for a stock cam. The .68 housings will pull up to 5500-6000rpm on the same combo, but when used with the stock cam will have slightly more lag. Don’t spend more than $100 for one in decent condition and $150 for one in good condition…as they are still a dime a dozen. Some douche at my local salvage yard seems to get the inside scoop from the yard and pulls every damn turbo that has any use in a v8 application….and they overcharge like a summabitch anyways (they wanted $200 for their smaller Volvo and Mitsu turbos!).

FYI, I’m running the .60/.48 versions with the combo and numbers in the sig. I’d much prefer to swap over to the .68 housings and will eventually do so as the .48’s are a bit of a mismatch for my cam.

Another heads up, if you haven’t already….I highly suggest www.turbomustangs.com for TONS of info on the subject.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any difference between 85 or 86? Theirs a jy that has an 85 and an 86 both stick cars. There pretty cheap on price too. I might get one to tuck away.

Paul

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts