Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what the metal thickness is of the front and rear subframes? How about for the floorpan?

I'm installing subframe connectors on my vert tomorrow, and this information will make welding a lot more predicatable.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can't help you with you thickness question but I can tell you this, there is a certain type of weld you have to do with subframes. I may be wrong but I think they call it a meg weld, from what i haer the other type's of welds don't last. Good Luck

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, it's MIG welding (Gas shielded arc welding, IIRC MIG stands for Mixed Inert Gas).

We've got that part under control. I'm going to let a friend of mine do the welding, because he's got a fair amount of experience with his MIG welder.

My main concern is burning through the floor pan. And it would be nice to know the thickness for the subframes, but not dire.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't recall the thickness, but you will see body holes/plugs and will be able to judge from those.
Remember to evenly load the suspension. Best way to do this is to drive it on a drive on lift or muffler shop.

I drove mine on blocks of wood and then helped my welder friend do the job.

You will be pleased with the outcome of your suspension handling.

Mike

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips.

I went and looked tonight, and it looks like I won't have the problem some have experienced with '96-'98 cobras with the tranny cross member getting in the way. On my '99 the subframes are clear (well, at least they will be once I remove the factory connectors).

I've budgeted 7 hours for the job, hopefully we won't run into any snags. I'm going to put it on four identical ramps, which should give it about a 8" or so raise. Hopefully that'll be enough clearance to weld with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts