Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing MM bilstein coilovers on the 2000 GT. Quick question, I'm running a 10" spring, why do I have to run the collar almost the top to keep the spring set at full droop? Any lower, and the spring becomes unsettled in it's purches. The only thing I can think of is that the split support collar is too low, but It looks like it's supposed to rest on the bottom strut bracket.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
It is supposed to be there. You're running your lower perch at the top of the threaded sleeve? I've got a 10" spring, and I don't think mine is at the top of the sleeve.

Are you running enough spacers above the top perch to clear the shock tower and keep the perch down?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Glenn said:
I had to get a pair of helper springs to keep my springs from separating from the perchs during full droop. You can order them from Colman Racing for about $50 or so. I think I'm going to need a pair for my rear coil overs too. I wonder why MM doesn't offer them on their website?

I would recommend this also.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Google to save a few bucks. ;)

jfranci3, it appears that a 10" spring is just about the right length to not need helper springs when the C/Os are set at stock ride height. At full droop, of course. If you're riding lower than stock, you'll probably need the helpers under droop.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
huesmann said:
Google to save a few bucks. ;)

jfranci3, it appears that a 10" spring is just about the right length to not need helper springs when the C/Os are set at stock ride height. At full droop, of course. If you're riding lower than stock, you'll probably need the helpers under droop.
I have a 10" 325lb springs and my car at the same ride height as my Steeda Sport springs, I needed helpers.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Wow, I could use those too, mine are close to the top of the collar, same issues. thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I'll be ordering some of those sometime in the future, because it gets annoying having the springs POP back into their upper perches every time i lower the car off of jackstands or a hoist.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts