Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought all new drilled and slotted rotors, pads, and stainless steel brake lines to replace this weekend. Is there anything special I need to know when doing a brake job? I've replaced pads and rotors in the past but never rotors on my Cobra. Is there a trick to getting the old rotors off or do they come off fairly easily? Do I need a special tool for the rear calipers and where can I get one? Are the brake line difficult to replace? I want to buy a one man brake bleeding kit so I can do this myself. Is there a certain order I should do the brakes in? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Pete

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Th job is pretty simple. I did a Cobra upgrade with SS lines not too long ago, here's what I learned.

The rotors were not that hard to get off. I aksed around like you and was told that if they are being pains, take a mallet to them. Your not using them anymore. I started with a regular size hammer and hit around the center part of the rotor and they came right off.

The lines are simple, had to dremel a larger hold in the stock bracket to get my MM SS lines to fit.

You will need a special tool for the rears. You can get it at your local Autozone or Pep Boys. Some people have said you need to modify the tool a little but I guess that depends on brand of the tool. It can also be done with good needle nose pliers, but is not really recommended. I have not done the rears yet personally so I'm just telling you what I have read.

The bleeding its self is simple. Your gunan need someone to help if you don't have speed bleeders or a one man kit. I would get one of the kits, definatly makes it alot easier. Start with the caliper that is farthest away from the Master Cylinder.

Bleed in this order:Right rear, Left rear, Right Front, Left front.
Bleed until all air bubbles are out. There is a good write up on here that I used when I did mine.

Hope that helps
Eric

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where did you find the write up and where did you get the crush fittings?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
You mean crush washers? Mine came with the new Banjo bolt with the SS lines.

Make sure you have that banjo bolt for the lines. I bought some from MU, and my car was down for a week because of it. For the washers you can probably try your local NAPA or Autozone.

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/brakebleed.html

Eric

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know the exact name for the tool I need for the rear caliper? I don't want to go to Autozone and not know what I'm looking for. hehe I need to take another look at my ss lines to make sure they have the crush washers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts