Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I just installed my new T/B, an upgrade from my SVO single blade t/b. The installation was a snap, with the exception that i had to make my own gasket :mad: and well... that took the longest time :D

Anyways, after i installed it, reconnect the battery terminal and start it up.. because I was pressure for time and had to get my car out of the hobby shop in a couple minutes, i only had a few minutes to idle before jetting out of there. The THROTTLE response is Wicked sensitive, and i also notice that it takes alittle longer from anywhere above 2000rpm to drop down to idle mode. I know the computer has to re-think itself but is this normally the issue with the computer or is this not normal?

I didn't really have time to tinker with it afterwards, but anything that should be noted would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
when i installed one in a friends vobra, i realized that the TB was defective b/c it took forever to idle back down...after messing with the TB arm, i saw that the blade was sticking at the end and wouldnt shut unless i forced it closed. after tinkering with it the idle would come down, but very slowly. i sent the TB back and installed the other one with no problems. maybe this is your problem? maybe not..good luck.

·
Registered
218 Posts
do they have dyno results on that tb yet?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for all of your suggestions! :joy:
I just got home from work, and boy is this annoying, the slow rev dropping that is. I'll be tweaking it today and hope what Dave King mentioned is all that needs to be done.

I also notice that i didn't mention is the spring that connects to the arm doesn't actually clear out of the way, it rubs against that small bracket, although this i'm sure is petty stuff.

stroked or blown, you mentioned about the blade sticking in the close position, did you check this before it was installed or notice afterwards? I checked mine prior to installing it and no problem at all... again, thanx for your help guys!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
After I installed mine my car didn't want to idle down correctly either. A friend of mine suggested that I do an idle re-learn on the car and see if that wouldn't cure the problem. I performed the re-learn and the car seems to idle fine now. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The problem you are experiencing is basically that the computer needs to re-learn what's going on. The throttle stop position is set at assembly and rarely needs any adjustment. The throttle blade is slightly smaller than the bore and should never be adjusted completely closed. Remove the throttle cable, cruise cable and return spring. Make sure that the throttle opens and closes freely. Reassemble and try again to try and isolate the problem if there is a mechanical problem. If that doesn't fix it then call me and we'll figure it out.

John Mihovetz

909-930-1751

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ALLNTRL: Exactly what do you mean by an idle re-learn? I disconnected my battery when installing the T/B and reconnect it. The re-learning process usually takes place as you driving, at least to my knowledge unless there is something else to this idle re-learn that i'm not aware of.

John: Thanx for the support! I'll give that a try, as I already try to set the idle adjustment and still having the same problem. Unfortunately i'll be leaving the island to another island tomorrow for the weekend, so if all else fails after i get back, I'll give ya call.
Btw, how long does it actually take for this re-learning process anyways? Most of everything that I installed in the past has never taken this long as far as i can remember. Although its only been two days. Btw, my car is supercharged if this has any relevance to my problem, my sig is outdated.

Thanx again for all the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts