Ford Mustang Forums banner

Question on replacing the rear main seal?

3K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  4 eyed mustang 
#1 ·
I am replacing the clutch and rear main on my 03 GT. I removed the old one and was installing the new one and put in a little deeper than the old one will it be ok? Also was the original one a 2 piece seal, the one I purchased from ford is a 1 piece seal is this correct or do I need to find another part?

#2 ·
I just did mine on my 2000 GT. Just got it all back together this morning. I removed the retainer and installed the seal from the back side and I also put mine in a little further than flush. I should be fine because there is a lot of area on the crankshaft for it to ride on. I also used ford factory seal and the oil slinger too.

#4 ·
Does this look too deep or will it be ok? Not sure why it posted so many pics, sorry.

#9 ·
Thanks for the pics, I think mine is a little deeper than yours but it looks like it will be ok. I am going to put the oil slinger seal back on as well, ordered and will be picked up Saturday and ready to get everything reinstalled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.