Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by someone else on here i could get all i needed to move my battery at the auto zone or pep boys. Well i went and looked and sure enough i can get the cables and a plastic box. My questions are: is it ok to have a battery in the back of a hatchback? I heard the batt. vents fumes or something. Next question is: i understand i run the pos cable back up to the front where it originally connects. Where do i hook the neg. cable to? Somewhere in the rear of the car? How long does it have to be? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
I don't know about Autozones boxes but I think the Moroso box has a vent tube... yes it should be vented the gasses they let off are pretty poisonous, I think by NHRA rules you also have to have a firewall constructed in the hatch to legally run a battery in the rear. You don't need a vent if your using a gel cell battery, in fact it doesn't even need a box, just a rigid tie down. By the way what gauge battery cable are you using?

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The box i was looking at had a vent in the top. That will just vent it out into the car though. As far as what gauge cable....i dont know since ive never done anything like this. I just need all the info i can get on the subject.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
I used 00 awg cable for the positive and negative. Negative cable is gounded to the bumper bolt in the back and then from the swaybar mount in the front to the block.

I used 4ga on the alternator side of things, and I'm using a Flaming River switch.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok i was out looking at the cables and noticed that along with my neg calbe there is another black wire that connects to the battery. It has something to do with the fuel pump because when i unplugged it the fuel pump didnt come on. When moving the battery what did you guys do with this wire? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
First of all, a battery vents hydrogen gas. Very explosive. That is the reason for requiring a vent in a re located battery. You should use as a minimum, 1 gauge positive cable. The battery to ground can be 2 gauge, and you can connect it to the quad shock bolt. The engine needs to be grounded from the block to the front sway bar bracket. Checkout buffhomers page on battery relocation, it will give you almost all the infromation you need. http://buffhomer.corral.net/custom.html

·
Registered
884 Posts
STEP UP TO THE GEL CELL ITS A LOT SAFER!!!!!!!!!!! WOULD NOT RUN A LEAD ACID BATTERIE IN THE TRUNK OR PASS COMPARMENT! GEL CELLS EMIT NO GAS NOR DO THEY LEAK! AND THEY DONT EXPLODE!!!!!!!! CHEEP $125 DOLLAR INSURANCE! if you do use a lead acid battrie use a forced vent system! ie blower for a boat bildge!

·
Registered
35 Posts
batt relocate

Go get the OCT 2002 issue of 5.0 mag, there is an artical called "power to the project" that covers a trunk mount batt in detail as far as getting the basics of doing it, and they referance a few companies that sell all the parts and wiring diagrams to do it right, there artical was one of the most informative that I have ever read about getting a batt in the trunk, and they say it's NHRA spec/legal. good luck

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
5.0 went through a bunch of stuff that you don't have to...namely relocatiing the starter solenoid. Check out my writeup, it'll help you out a lot I hope, and it's 100% legal and damn near foolproof.

I'll be updating it soon with better pics. :)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
buffhomer said:
5.0 went through a bunch of stuff that you don't have to...namely relocatiing the starter solenoid. Check out my writeup, it'll help you out a lot I hope, and it's 100% legal and damn near foolproof.

I'll be updating it soon with better pics. :)
Reviving a dead thread... I can't get your website to work and I want to fix my crappy battery relocation from the previous owner. The car is hard to start especially when its hot. Sometimes when its hot the fuel pump won't even come on??? :bs: It leaves me stranded sometimes for hours....

Anyhow... got a working link for the relocation on your site?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts