Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about switching from my s-trim to a turbo. I've had other turbo vehicles but they were factory turbo cars so everything was put together well.

Are you constantly hunting down exhaust leaks?

My s-trim is rock solid reliable, driven everyday, not having to tighten this, replace that... it's pretty nice but nothing compares to a turbo, plus a turbo is a lot easier on the stock block.

Anyone have any rock solid exhaust leak free systems that are daily driven?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
If u got ur car exhaust leak free then u can do it on any car. Most seem to have leaks because of the tune or the quality of the products they are using. Reliability has alot of variables, but the leading causes of failures are quality and tune.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
With a milder setup the exhaust leaks aren't as bad. High hp setups with higher back pressure have to be closer to "perfect" to seal up.

It took me a couple of months to get everything right but mine stays without leaking. Don't expect it to be like the s-trim.

After heat cycling a number of times the hotside is going to need to be tightened and possibly even resealed. Some parts may need to be surfaced to get them perfectly flat. My turbo flange from Precision was not true and was causing leaking.

Fasteners also matter. Chasing the threads in the heads for the header bolts and using ARP lube on the bolts let's you get more clamping force. I had ARP send me small headed 12 point bolts and nuts for the turbo so it is easier to get them tight.

Patience and a close attention to detail will get you to the right place.

Now, the 56 leaking v-band and tiger patch threads are quality problems...that is a different issue from the reality of normal turbo hotsides.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It can be done, but I for one plan to keep my truck in good condition! The blower is far easier, but as you said it's < turbo.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The biggest problem people get into on turbo kits is buying cheat/ bargain parts. Buy good SS. v-band kits (plan on paying 45-60 each )1/2 header flanges, top quality SS headers and hot piping with good v-bands and alittle copper RTV and leaks are a thing of the past. Spend your money wisely and dont cut corners.This will help you out and insure that you have a turbo car that will have little to no issues

1 - 6 of 6 Posts