Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 GT and I will be putting some white face gauges on soon. I have been reading that one of the hardest parts is to get the speedo calibrated correctly.

I was wondering if you could use the instrument cluster diagnostics ( http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/dtcodes.htm ) to set the speedo and tach as it will show you both digitally.

Also any tips on installing the gauges?

·
Registered
204 Posts
jdwright said:
I was wondering if you could use the instrument cluster diagnostics ( http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/dtcodes.htm ) to set the speedo and tach as it will show you both digitally.

That is exactly what you use to recalibrate the speedometer and tach. The trick is placing the needle at the correct position while driving down the road. Very interesting challenge. I just found an open road and put the car on cruise control. Actually placed both needles correctly (speedo within 1-2 mph) the first time, so I left it alone.
As for tips, just TAKE YOUR TIME. The main thing is don't break a needle. I was a little nervous doing this install just because all I could think about is how $$$ a replacement cluster is.
I had no problems though, but again, I took my time.
FYI - I have the MAC white face gauges.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just a tip, you don't need to remove the needles with some white faced guages.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Click on the WHITE FACED GAUGES in my sig. It's my install article for the Mac gauges. Should be some help.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
jdwright said:
I have an 02 GT and I will be putting some white face gauges on soon. I have been reading that one of the hardest parts is to get the speedo calibrated correctly.

Mustang world also has a good "How To" article on installing guages...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Blackbuck,
Where can I find the guages that don't require you to remove your needles?:joy:
I have a white face set now but am afraid to install it. Heard too many bad stories. I would rather buy a new one that does not require me to remove my needles.

Thanx

·
Registered
788 Posts
Gauges

The only white faces I've seen that don't require needle removal are the indeglo type. I considered both but was afraid I would get tired of the indeglos, so I went with the MACs. SPREADMANs article is the best I found-READ IT. Getting the tach and speedo back isn't hard, especially with the diagnostics-JUST TAKE YOUR TIME AND BE PATIENT. A couple of tips I can share is first, the original face sheet is kinda spotwelded to a clear piece of plastic. You need to "shave" (razor blade) each of these spotweld sites after you remove the original faces, get them super smooth. If you don't do this you will have uneven lighting. Second, take care in replacing the needles. If you push them too far down on the shafts, they can stick. If you don't push them far enough (What I did) you get bad lighting around the needle hubs, a big red flare. After I removed the stock faces and shaved the welds, I wiped the clear plastic with alcohol to make sure the new gauges would stick.
I had to make some adjustments after the first installation, but they look great, day and night. Go For It!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts