Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to maximize what I currently have as far as wheels. I have two sets of 17x8's. One has a set of 245/45/17 RE01R's and the other has a set of Sumitomo HTRZ's (1st Gen) for DD use. I know that 245 is the ideal size for an 8" wheel as far a standard fitment goes and 255 is ok too although it is slightly outside of the suggested range for an 8" wheel. I know for autocross, its common place to see people stuff huge widths on wheels that are several inches too small but that is for limited autox use and necessary because of the stock width requirement. My question is what is the max size that I can run on the street and still maintain safety. Can I squeeze a 275 on there and be ok for street use day to day if needed. I'm also thinking that if the 275 wont work ok for the street then I may still run it for autox only and only drive it on the street to and from the event.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Don't know if this will help or not, but, I have a 1993 Cobra and they came with 17 x 7.5 inch wheels. A lot of guys will run 275s on the back, but guys that have tried to run them on the fronts say the tires will easily "roll under" in a turn....I don't know if the extra 1/2" (of the 17x8s) will be enough to stop that??

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I think there was a thread something like this over in the wheel section. FWIR, there were some 275 Nitto brand tires that looked acceptable on the 8" wheels.

As for the rolling over part, I would imagine if you have a tire geared more for performance(treadwear <200), the sidewall should be adequately stiff enough.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Actual tire widths can vary between brands and models, so perhaps you can check specs?
Correct. You need to check with the tire manufacturer and see what the minuimum, maximum and ideal wheel widths are for a particular tire model and size.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ever spec that I have seen for a 275 indicates that it needs to be on a 9" wheel at minimum. Most recommend that a 9.5" is ideal. 255's call for a minimum 8.5 wheel but I feel comfortable running them on a 8" wide wheel since I've seen it done with success. I think most performance oriented tires under a 45 profile are going to follow those same guidelines.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I put 275/40/17 nitto drag radials on a 17x8 no problem, they are also pretty decent for autox too hehe

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
I put a 275/40/17 Goodyear Eagle F1s on my 8" 01 Cobra wheels for DD use. They were used, I got them for free so all I had to do is pay for mounting/balancing. These things looked great but performance was less than inspiring. The center bulged so much that contact was limited to a fraction of the section width. In fact, center wear was pronounced indicating that I was getting far less contact than one would expect. Seems these tire manufactureres actually know what they are doing when they recommend a minimum rim width.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Ever spec that I have seen for a 275 indicates that it needs to be on a 9" wheel at minimum. Most recommend that a 9.5" is ideal. 255's call for a minimum 8.5 wheel but I feel comfortable running them on a 8" wide wheel since I've seen it done with success. I think most performance oriented tires under a 45 profile are going to follow those same guidelines.
I'm just sayin'...I once went to measure my old Nitto DRs that were supposedly 315s, and the section width was less than 300mm.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
315 Nitto drag radials were REAL similar to some 275 BFG's I had.

The 275 Nitto NT05's I have sorta slant toward the center of the wheel....and the wheel is 9" wide. It's not super obvious, but "I" noticed it. I don't think they'd look compromised if they were on an 8" rim. May not be as responsive as the 9" wide, but nothing horrible.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. The consensus seems to be that the Nittos run smaller than advertised. Their "data" indicates that an a 9" wheel is the minimum width even though real world application has shown differently in some cases.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts